1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive partitions.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LiamTech, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LiamTech

LiamTech Thread Starter

Okay so im a bit of a noob when it comes to hard drive partitions, and im kind of confused.

I have a Toshiba Laptop with 120GB which has two partitions, the C: drive with my Windows Vista operating system on which has 55.74GB, and an E: drive for recovery, with recovery files and folders by Toshiba, which has 54.58GB. Surely, half of my entire disc space should not be taken up by a recovery partition? Also, under disk management there seems to be now three partitions, C:, E: and a blank one with 1.46GB labelled Healthy (EISA Configuration). I have attached a print screen of my disc management window. Any help?

Attached Files:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The E:\ partition is not a recovery partition. Its a partition that you can use as you wish. Its great to store you data on it and then when you ever need to reload your system from the recovery partition or DVD's then your data does not get lost.

The apparent blank partition is not blank, its a custom Toshiba utility partition.

3. LiamTech

LiamTech Thread Starter

Okay, thank you for in the information. But, the E drive has recovery folders and files on it, with a readme telling me not to alter any of the files. So is this not my recovery partition?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It shouldn't be, no. Not unless Toshiba drastically changed their recovery partition recently. Can you show the usage of the drives in Disk Management? You have to slide the bar over as its to the right.

Or show a screen shot of the E: partition or the file you are referring too?

5. LiamTech

LiamTech Thread Starter

Alright so here are two print screens of Disk Management and my Data (E:) drive.

Attached Files:

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So you have 48.54 GB's free on the E: partition that you can use. I guess just leave that folder alone.

Have you burnt the Toshiba Recovery DVD's? If so you really need to do that. A recovery partition is great but only as long as it doesn't get damaged or lost, which happens a lot - hard drives fail. That folder may even go way once the discs are burnt.

7. LiamTech

LiamTech Thread Starter

Alright thanks, it was just i wanted to delete that partition and allocate all of the space to my C: drive which is running low on juice as you can see. And no, i don't have two spare 4.7GB DVD+RW hanging about, i'll get some soon and will do that. Guess i'll have to start using the E: drive to store stuff in the future. Thanks a lot :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice