1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: hard drive power ... im lost

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the mitchness, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. the mitchness

the mitchness Thread Starter

old power supply crapped out, bought a 580 watt one

Mobo ks8-la Salmon .. (from a compaq)

New power supply does this:

Get video, cpu, fans run, mobo runs fine, can go into bios and have the hd not recognized . hard drive "click click" .. no "vroom vroom"

Found 15 year old 90 watt power supply .. no cpu, no fan, no video, no bios :( .. hard drive spins like it has never spun before. It makes the noise as if it's loading and brand new.

Now, might I add this mobo has this extra 4 wire lead that plugs in.. has 2 yellow, 2 black wires. The old power supply .. doesn't .. Not sure if it even matters, but I'm sure the more detail you know, the better.

cleared cmos, tried cable swaps... nothing.

Any ideas or does anyone need more detail?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, first thing wattage means next to nothing as far as a pw supply. What matters is the amp rating on the various rails or voltage sections of the unit.

Next that connector you found MUST be on or the system will not post.

Have you pulled the drive in question and installed it on another system to see if the other system IDs the drive?

3. the mitchness

That connector was always hooked up, even with the brand new supply. The older power supply doesn't have the option on it. I don't think it was around in 1993?

I'm just awaiting permission from this computer's owner to do the quick swap out to check out if it runs. Just in case, I have a checkout on favorites for a new mobo waiting to be ordered. Socket 754 isn't always easy to find in stock.

Let me go out on a limb and guess that if the hard drive responds on this system, and is recognized, and works, and doesn't on my own system, the mobo is bad? But what would then explain the 15 year old power supply powering the hd like no tomorrow and the new one not?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That connector is called a P4 [even though it is used on amds as well] No a psu from 1993 will not have the connector.

If the drive works in another system, then either the mb controller, the cable, or the pw connector on your system are bad.

FWIW I have had molex connectors go bad where a pin pulls part way out causing the drive to work sometimes and not other times.

5. the mitchness

Ok, the system I put the hard drive in was on an intel system (yuk) .. the p4 connector wasn't connected on this system (nor is it even on the power supply wires, but the mobo has the option), and it still recognized the hard drive and persisted to ask for a boot disk so I could install an OS onto it.

I put in on a stock, store bought system and it booted right up flawlessly. The pw connector on mine SEEMS fine to me because reset, hdd light, power on light, and switch all work without a problem, unless I disconnect the p4 connector, then it will only power on. It will even let me move wires around sideways and jump it off and still power on and reset.

Here's something I tried tonight. Using the new PSU, I disconnected the p4 connector before powering on, and the hard drive about spun itself off the desk. With that p4 connected, it didn't even budge, but made the "click click", but no "vroom vroom".

How I am guessing my mobo is bad now is when I HOLD the reset button by either the button or jumper, the hard drive spins, and the cpu fan and cpu both shut down and I lose video. A socket 754 board is only 60 bucks for a good one. I should just go buy one. I'd love to fix this one up for a spare though.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Before installing a new board, I would try a known good pw supply. Just because a part is new does NOT mean it works. Having a known good pw supply as a test unit is a very good idea.

7. the mitchness

I still need to try a different power supply with all the connections. I did buy a new mobo and it is still doing the exact same thing. This new mobo I feel might be bad because once power is off, the mouse still has power. I'm betting it is the power supply not letting my hard drive get power.
    The new issue with the new mobo isn't just the mouse staying on, but it has two 4 pin power connectors and I'm not sure whether to hook just one, or both of them up.
    I remember my mom has an old computer where the mouse stays on, and she still has it after 5 years, running strong...Thing is I don't live there so I don't have access to her psu.

oh, and the hard drive gets power, if you hold the reset key down, which shuts off everything else.

8. the mitchness

Power supply issue. Thanks to all of those who helped. =)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/748213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice