[SOLVED] Hard Drive Problems please help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johnhammond

I juat installed a new 20gb maxtor hd in addition to my 30gb western digital. When i went into the bios the primary slave was set to auto and the hard drive was successfully detected it reported everything right (cycles heads ect) but when i go into windows 98se its not there it isnt in my computer or windows explorer help PLEASE

Thanks A Ton

johnhammond

Angel your a life saver. That was the problem now can you tell me how to convince my parents to get broadband because im stuck with AOL :( LOL

I wish you well with that endeavor! I would NEVER use AOL. Not only is it insulting and childish (personal opinion), it really messes with your entire system causing probs.
Not only would you simply be better off not having AOL, broadband is sooooooooooo much better - I would never go back to dial-up!

Try to do this in a way your parents will understand...
How much do you pay for AOL?
Do you have a separate phone line for dialing up? If so, how much is that per month?
How much is DSL or Cable internet in your area?
I'm only paying $10 more per month foe DSL than I was with a dial-up ISP and a 2nd phone line. It was a no brainer!

johnhammond

Ok 2 things MY PARENTS ARE CHEAP. first of all we get aol for $3 dollars because of my dads job. i was concidering Aols dsl service because it is also discounted for 19.99 a month i think was the price and i heard that satalite sucks because of uploads. The second thing is that the second harddrive i installed was to transfer my old one to it while i reformat and partition so i can do that tri boot system but when i do copy and paste of my 9+gigs i get an error that says (lol its an aol error too) "Cannot copy aol. The system cannot read from the specified device" i was wondering is this only going to happen with this file or is it more complicated then copy and paste.

Once again Thanks alot

Are you planning on copying EVERYTHING from the old drive and then replacing the old one with the new one as the primary and using it to boot Windows? If so, you're last assumtion is correct, you cannot just copy and paste it all over. The new drive should have come with software allowing you to move everything over. Otherwise, you will need some type of imaging program.
If there's another way, someone will let you know.

johnhammond

All i want to do is copy everything on the old one to the new one, then partition the old one and put the stuff all back on the the old one after it is partitioned

IBM

there is a command in DOS called:
XCOPY

This is mainly used to copy huge amounts of data, like directories.

open a DOS window, type:
Xcopy/?

That will give you instructions on how to use it.

good luck

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Why don't you just use the software that came with the Maxtor drive....It's quite simple, boot to your new maxtor drive with the floppy disk in the computer and you will be given a choice to transfer the files from another drive......then boot to the Maxtor and make sure you're happy that everything works...then reformat the WD drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online