1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard drive problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by themurfs, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themurfs

themurfs Thread Starter

I have Dell Dimension 4700, 1 TB SATA drive, running Windoes XP (sp3).

System failed to boot this morning (a blue screen I've never seen before), then on reboot, got to place where get to choose version of Safe Mode. Tried Safe Mode, and system rebooted itself back to same choices on Safe Mode. Tried Safe Mode with DOS, system rebooted back to same choices.

I ran a Seagate diagnostic utility (booted from the Seagate CD) and it came back with some error code, something like "Error Code 0F00:0244 MsgBlock 2913114 uncorrectable data error or media is write protected".

Dumb me, I don't have 2nd harddrive that is bootable. I do have CD drive that is bootable.

What's quickest cheapest way to analyze and potentially (hopefully) repair the problems on the harddrive?

thanks,
    mm.

2. themurfs

themurfs Thread Starter

I found a utility to download, that would boot from CD, burned the CD, booted, and analyzed disk. problem was bad sectors (4 to be precise - all in a row). Repaired, and back in business.

based on recommendations in other threads, installing Acronis True Image home 2011 and setting up to be prepared in future with images and backups.

thanks,
    mm.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice