1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive Questions & Problems Please Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BrentM94, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BrentM94

BrentM94 Thread Starter

Okay so I have two hard drives in my computer, however only one can be plugged in at a time. I know I could get an adapter I just am not interested at the moment. My current hard drive runs windows vista 32 bit and works great.

I really want to play a few games that run using 64 bit OS. I have a version of windows 7 home premium 64 bit ready to go. Although I don't want to mess up my current hard drive. My second hard drive has an error where when I start my computer it says missing bootmrg and tells me press ctrl + alt + del to restart. Which doesn't change anything.

I read a little bit about this error and I found installing a new OS may help fix the problem. Which is what I want to do. I don't want to screw up the current OS I have right now.

So if I install a OS on my missing bootmgr hard drive and it were not to work. Will it hurt my computer in any way, or just the hard drive? So my current hard drive should still be okay to use if all else fails? Would nothing in my computer could be damaged from installing a OS on the bootmgr hard drive, if anything it would just be the hard drive that could be damaged?

Again only one hard drive can be plugged in at a time.

Thank you,
    -Brent :confused:

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It's trying to boot from the non-Vista OS HDD but there is no bootmgr on that HDD yet hence the error message.

Go ahead and install 7 onto the 2nd HDD.You need to set the CD/DVD drive to first boot device and boot the 7 install DVD to start the install. You should see a 'press any key to boot from DVD' message when it boots with the DVD, press a key and then continue with the install.

3. BrentM94

BrentM94 Thread Starter

Can I still use the other (Windows Vista) HDD if Windows 7 for some reason won't install or makes problems worse on the HDD with bootmgr error?

I'm trying to word this right, so it makes sense.

Say I break HDD #2 (bootmgr).

Then HDD #1 should work still if I just plug it back in?

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes HDD #1 with Vista should still work, you won't be changing anything on that drive. Just swap the HDDs over so that the Vista one is not connected then install 7 onto HDD #2, If there's nothing on HDD #2 that you need to keep do a 'clean' install as shown here :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mME9VLT7-xw

You can skip entering the 7 key until after the install is finished, make sure you have it !

After the install is finished run Windows update and get all the Important updates, including SP1 if it's not already installed, I think there are over 150 since SP1 came out !

EDIT : Remember you have to boot from the 7 DVD to do a clean install.

5. BrentM94

BrentM94 Thread Starter

Okay, thank you. I was pretty sure but it's our only computer so I wanted to be 100% sure.

Resolved.

Rep +

(y)(y)(y)

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome. :)

(Please mark this topic 'Solved' with the button on your webpage).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice