1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: hard drive recognised in BIOS but doesn't show in Disk Management

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thestig07, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thestig07

thestig07 Thread Starter

I'm trying to put an old hard drive into my PC as a slave but i can't find it in disk management. It is installed via IDE and BIOS recognises it as a hard drive but i can't find it when i login to my PC.

Any ideas?

2. Sponsor

3. desertwind

desertwind

I know in the old days, you needed to configure the hard drive with a jumper connector to connect two pins on the hard drive to tell the system whether it was to be recognized as a master or a slave drive. Not sure whether this holds true with XP, but just a thought since it's an older drive. Usually there's a set of wire pins near where the IDE cable connects, with a printed M or S on the corresponding pins.

FWIW

4. thestig07

thestig07 Thread Starter

I've done that already. It is set as slave in BIOS and the jumpers are set to slave as per the label on the HDD.

I have the PC open and i can feel it spinning so there is power there but it just isn't showing :confused:

5. desertwind

desertwind

Do you still have the computer you salvaged the hdd from? Do you have an OS installed on the drive? You might try reinstalling it in that machine to verify the drive is functional. Conversely, assuming you have an OS on it, you might try configuring your current computer to try that hdd as your primary and see if your OS recognizes it.

Also, have you checked your system device manager to see if anything is flagged as problematic under the disk drive or controller sections?

6. thestig07

thestig07 Thread Starter

I resolved it.

I was wanting to get some files off the HDD so i put it back in the old machine and used Knoppix to access the drive.

Thanks for input and help

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/829424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice