1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: hard drive seems to have more on it than it should

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by energyzer, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. energyzer

energyzer Thread Starter

It seems that my hard drive has way more on it than it really should. I can't figure out where to look. I have heard of computers saving a file when copying and burning cd's and DVD's when it shouldn't be. Is that a possibility? I have done a clean drive, and also went into %temp% and cleared that out. Not sure where else to look. I have run Malwarebytes, but it doesn't come up with any problems.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Hey energyzer! Glad we got your USB drive issue fixed sorry you're still having trouble as for your post Phantom's suggestion will show you everything its a great tool it should look something like this
    [​IMG]

Don't delete anything you're not sure of let us know what is taking up most your space.

4. energyzer

energyzer Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll give it a try

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to its product specifications, your HP Pavilion a1210n desktop has a 200 GB hard drive.

20 GB(10%) of it is reserved to the Recycle Bin and 24 GB(12%) of it is reserved to System Restore.

This is a BIG waste of hard drive space and isn't needed.

Right-click RECYCLE BIN, then click Properties, then move the slider to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - System Restore, then move the slider to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

After that's done, restart the computer.

-----------------------------------------------------

6. energyzer

energyzer Thread Starter

Awesome, it worked. It found that my video camera was putting a copy of all my home movies in a "capture" folder. I had double my actual movies. Cleaned that up and cleared up 30G! Thanks!

7. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Great! Glad to hear. If you don't mind could you mark this post as resolved so other advisers know it's closed. :) Thanks

8. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Recycle Bin is a big waste of Hard drive space...Never thought of that tweak flav! Nice (y)

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I do that to every Windows XP computer that I work on. (y)

--------------------------------------------------------

10. energyzer

energyzer Thread Starter

I did go into my recycle bin and there are three tabs, "global", "C" and "D". I changed the global to 3%. The other two where grayed out, so I couldn't change it from the 10%. I haven't had a chance to change the other to, but will do that whan I get back to my home computer. The specs you stated above are correct, it is a 200G drive. Thanks again for the tips.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    :) (y)

12. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice