1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive showing in BIOS - but can't access in XP?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rangitamoe, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rangitamoe

rangitamoe Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I'm not exactly sure how to explain this so I'll try and give you as much information as possible.

I am currently running Win XP SP2 on my PC with 2 hard drives. Whilst doing all my usual diagnostics/maintenance I noticed that my second HD (which is a SATA btw) is showing up with unreadable files and errors whilst running a CHKDSK /F. The process seemed to stall, so I was forced to reboot.

However when I rebooted, I found that the SATA HD was not being recognized by XP. So I rebooted again and checked the BIOS. The SATA drive was still there. Again I let XP load and again it was not showing up. Since then the SATA drive shows up intermittently in the BIOS when I check it, but it never shows up in XP.

All I want to do is to somehow get access to this SATA drive so I can reformat it in an attempt to fix the problem (even just temporarily). If anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateul. I'm also happy to give you any further information you need (if I know!)

Much obliged.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Go to the drive manufacturers website and download and run their diagnostic utility on the problem drive. If they have an option for a quick test or an extended test, choose the extended test.

3. rangitamoe

Downloaded the software, but it could not find the drive to test. Still shows up in the BIOS though.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Usually those tests make a boot floppy you boot up to, so if the bios shows it then it should appear to the boot floppy.

5. rangitamoe

Sorry for the delay.
    I have no floppy drive, and even then I could not see an option to make a bootable CD.
    The troublesome HD is a Seagate Barracuda 40 GB.

I tried booting to it on a whim when I saw it showing up in the BIOS, and it started to load Windows but then it came up with an unmountable boot drive error. I put in the Windows XP CD and tried to use the recovery console to try and use FIXBOOT to solve the problem but the PC hangs before it gets to the command prompt in the recovery console.

Is there any way under XP that I can boot straight to a command prompt without having to go into Safe Mode first?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

So many reasons why saving $10 on the build of a pc is foolish. No there isn't. How about either adding a floppy or buying an external floppy drive, no one should be without one.

7. rangitamoe

This is a handme down PC, so it's not my skimping ;)
    I can get access to an external floppy so I'll see what I can do.

8. rangitamoe

GOT IT!
    Didn't need the extra floppy drive either. I managed to get the recovery console to find the drive, and was able to fix the problems myself from there. I now have a working second HD again :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/612055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice