1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard drive swap

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rjh3272, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rjh3272

rjh3272 Thread Starter

I have a T2862 which has a bad motherboard.I have a chance to purchase another T2826 which has no operating system installed but has been tested by booting to bios. Can I install my present Hard drive with windows xp home into this machine without loseing my data and will my windows xp that is on this hard drive reconize it and boot up? The hard drive I want to install is presently slaved to my emachine T3101 and works perfectly.I have done an explore on the slave and windows xp home and my data are all intact.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

It should, there may be some minor difference if the motherboard is a different hardware revision, but XP should boot, you should check device manager to see if any drivers have not loaded or are missing.

Your model numbers don't match in your post, was that a mistake or are they different models?

3. valis

valis Moderator

also depends on what that original hard drive was configured for. Quite frequently, you will have a difficult time swapping a hard drive that has xp on it for, say, an older dell and popping it into a newer dell. XP will take a snapshot of the chipset, and if they are not within certain parameters, you will need to reformat.

4. rjh3272

rjh3272 Thread Starter

The old machine with the bad board is an emachine T2862. The machine that I want to purchase is also an emachine T2862. I currently have the drive out of the bad T2826 emachine slaved to a T3101 and designated as drive z. This worked out fine but I need 2 computers. I should have pointed out that the hard drive in the machine I am going to purchase has had the hard drive completly erased and is bare.

5. rjh3272

rjh3272 Thread Starter

I did it again. both of the machine are T 2862 models. The one that the hard drive is slaved to is a T3101.I think I need a proof reader.Sorry about the confusion and thanks!

6. rjh3272

rjh3272 Thread Starter

By reformat. Do you mean to format the hard drive.Wont this erase all data on the disk includeing Windows xp home???

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

No need to format, put the drive in and boot up.

8. valis

valis Moderator

yup, what he said. As long as the machines are identical, you will have no issues. The key is what mobo that slaved hd was formatted with. As long as they are identical, no worries.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice