1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard drive using double space

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gob_bluth, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gob_bluth

gob_bluth Thread Starter

So, maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't figure this out. I just installed a new hard drive (HITACHI Deskstar 7K2000 HDS722020ALA330 2TB) on my Windows XP x64 SP2 machine. For some reason, it's only showing half the free space it should be.

It shows its capacity at 1.81 TB, which is what I expect. But after I transferred 746 GB to it, it says my Used Space is 1.54 TB... this is pretty frustrating.

The volume type is Basic.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Could my problem be that this is somehow configured as RAID or something? I don't see any options for that in my BIOS...

Thanks for the help!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Since it is a new drive, and you have all the data on the old drive, if it were me, I would format the drive and see how that works out.

3. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

what do you mean by basic? if this is a storage drive create a extended partition and then create a virtual volume on it
    i had TB with a simple partition and xp didn't like it.so i changed to the above type.

4. gob_bluth

gob_bluth Thread Starter

Thanks lunarlander that did the trick. After doing a quick format, and re-transferring all my data, it's now reporting correctly. Still not sure why this was happening in the first place, because it had been freshly formatted then as well.

5. srhoades

srhoades

Make sure you turn off system restore on that drive.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/947698