1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive- where's my data?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by erniejt, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erniejt

erniejt Thread Starter

Here's a situation I've never faced before.
    I have two internal hard drives. One is 150 gig that is used for general use (windows, programs, some data), the other is a 1 ter. used for data storage (like an external is usually used). For no apparent reason, I can't access the big one. Whenever I try to read it through Explorer the drive shows up, but when I click on it I get a message telling me it needs to be formated.
    Any ideas? I really don't want to lose the data on it if possible.
    Thanks

2. Ccucu

Ccucu

Right Click on My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management

What do you have there?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you checked/reseated the pw and data connectors for the drive? If not, do so and then see if you can access the drive.
    This is why we stress backups SO much. Data you do not backup is data you do not care about. All drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

4. erniejt

erniejt Thread Starter

Hi again,
    I did the right click on my computer, manage. disk management thing, and all looks okay to me. It says "healthy" under the decription of the dirve, however, to my untrained eye, it looked full. Where the main drive "c:" has a white background in the diplay, the big drive (d: ) shows diagonal lines throughout.
    Something else worth mentioning, When I get that message asking if I want to format the drive and I click cancel, I get another message saying
    "D:\ is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."
    Hope this is of more help.
    I intend to check the disk connections later today.
    Thanks again

5. lloyd6770

lloyd6770

I believe the drive that has diagonal lines through it is the drive you currently have selected. I don't think it has anything to do with a drive being full.

6. Ccucu

Ccucu

diagonal lines is the selected Volume.
    If C and D are on the same horizontal line that means they are 2 partitions on the same drive.
    if you have 2 hard drives you should have Disk 0 and Disk 1 right below.

On the non-working drive what file system is listed?
    Does the second HDD appear as foreign?

7. erniejt

erniejt Thread Starter

C; is listed as Disk 0 and D as Disk 1. Nothing says "foreign". To me it looks normal. All the other notes are similar to the C drive

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First try reseating the connectors then do the following if that does not work.

Download the drive maker's diagnostic [you download this from whomever made the drive ie WD, Seagate, etc] Run both the long and short tests. Note there is often a windows version and a dos or boot version. I use the boot version since this removes windows from the problem. There are usually detailed instructions on the site to make the boot CD however if you need help making it, post back.

If the drive has failed [which is most likely has] then you have only two options;
    1 Run data recovery software and hope to get usable data from the drive
    2 Send the drive to a shop that does data recovery. Note this is NOT cheap. Prices where I live start at $100 for a simple recovery [plus the cost of media to copy the data to ie an external drive, etc] If the shop has to disassemble the drive and attempt to read the platters, it runs many hundreds of $.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice