1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive with Little Free Space

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thewoodworker, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thewoodworker

thewoodworker Thread Starter

I have a 140 GB HDD that, at one time before I attempted a backup, had very little space consumed. If I remember correctly, there was about 35GB of operating system and applications on the HDD. This drive has my W7 OS.

I don't recall all of the details but somehow the backup was interrupted. The good news: Everything that was functional still is except that I now have only 7.58GB of free space on the HDD.

I've done a little bit of reading and I think I know what happened. I suspect that while doing a backup, the data is copied to a location on the HDD that will eventually be cleared IF the backup is allowed to conclude normally. Since I interrupted it, I surmise that the free space has now been occupied by the unwanted copy of that data.

My question is: Is there any way (other than reformatting and starting over) that I can retrieve some of that "free space"?

2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

If you want to back up your system, you need to use another drive. If you don't want the partial backup that was created on the same drive, delete it.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I don't know what kind of temp files are created, but install CCleaner and perform a scan. It will show all of the temp files that can be removed and the amount of space that will be freed up.

And I agree. If you want a backup, get a second HDD. Having a backup on the same drive won't be of much help if the HDD fails. You should be able to get an external drive pretty cheap as you don't need a very large model.

5. thewoodworker

thewoodworker Thread Starter

This is what my hard drives looked like when I first posted here. The C: Drive had just been part of a failed backup (self induced failure).

Hard Drive Problem.PNG

After using tools provided as part of Reflect, I now have the hard drive back to the configuration it was in BEFORE I botched the Windows Backup. Drive E: is still there; I cropped it when I did the snipping.

Recovered Hard Drive.PNG

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1151469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice