1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive Woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by opopanax, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. opopanax

opopanax Thread Starter

I have an old Samsung 20GB (now mostly extinct). Its started showing problems like windows hangs up during normal working, sometimes BIOS does not detect it, and quite often cant write to C drive; the other 3 drives D,E,F r fine. I have Xp installed in F and 98 in C. There's Linux in another partition of 3 GB.
    Can anybody tell me what might be the trouble here?? why and how can i eliminate it??

2. norton850

norton850

If BIOS is not detecting it then
    - something is wrong with the connections to the drive
    - you need a new IDE cable
    - the IDE connector on the MB is going (doubt this)
    - the drive is going

Check what you can and go to the Samsung site and get the hard drive diagnostic utility and run it.

3. opopanax

opopanax Thread Starter

Ur suggestions coincide with mine. I was also doubtful abt the IDE cable. the third possibilty is rare cuz i changed my motherboard 3 months back. And Im terrified of the fourth.
    I do what u suggested, and postback. Thanks for replying.

4. opopanax

opopanax Thread Starter

Ran the diagnostic utility from Samsung, and scandisk with surface scan. Both showed no problems. I'm not having any problems right now and has been fine for the last 2 days. I still dont know why this happened. Anyway, thats over now. Thanx.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice