Solved: Hard Drive Woes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

opopanax

I have an old Samsung 20GB (now mostly extinct). Its started showing problems like windows hangs up during normal working, sometimes BIOS does not detect it, and quite often cant write to C drive; the other 3 drives D,E,F r fine. I have Xp installed in F and 98 in C. There's Linux in another partition of 3 GB.
Can anybody tell me what might be the trouble here?? why and how can i eliminate it??

If BIOS is not detecting it then
- something is wrong with the connections to the drive
- you need a new IDE cable
- the IDE connector on the MB is going (doubt this)
- the drive is going

Check what you can and go to the Samsung site and get the hard drive diagnostic utility and run it.

opopanax

Ur suggestions coincide with mine. I was also doubtful abt the IDE cable. the third possibilty is rare cuz i changed my motherboard 3 months back. And Im terrified of the fourth.
I do what u suggested, and postback. Thanks for replying.

opopanax

Ran the diagnostic utility from Samsung, and scandisk with surface scan. Both showed no problems. I'm not having any problems right now and has been fine for the last 2 days. I still dont know why this happened. Anyway, thats over now. Thanx.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online