1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by methodical6, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. methodical6

methodical6 Thread Starter

I have 1 60gb solid state that has windows installed on it and 1 2 terabyte hard drive for saving files and installing programs. The problem is that the solid solid state is almost full now but it has most of the same folders as the 2 terabyte how did they even get there? Can i move them over and merge the folders or maybe just rename each folder by putting a number and then move them? And also is there a way to set the solid state where nothing at all can be mistakenly saved to it?

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Im sure there is a way to move them and merge them together but ive never had that problem. someone im sure can advise you further.do you know what kind of ssd drive it is? ive only dealt with one of those in a lenovo thinkpad edge laptop. its a 16gb sandisk ssd and it was annoying me so i figured out where it was in the laptop and removed it for good.lol!!!!i unscrewed it pulled it out it looks like a green colored ram module and put it away if i should ever sell the laptop. the reason i did so was because i stupidly installed windows 7 on it instead of the main drive. what a mess i had to start all over again.so for those that have laptops with those kind of drives in them and dont need them thats how they can be removed if not needed.im not sure if theres any way to set the ssd drive so you cant save anything to it.you might see if it can be removed from the computer all together like i did.or have someone show you how to do it if you arent sure.

3. methodical6

I put the solid state in there when i built it so it could just be for the windows installation, the pc boots up into windows in about 40 seconds thay way. Is there a way to limit the hard drive as to how much is saved on it?

4. Rearden

Rearden Banned

You shouldn't have duplicates of files and folders if you're installing programs to the 2TB drive and moved your Documents and Music to the 2TB as well. What are you seeing as far as duplicate files and folders?

5. methodical6

The program files folder, x86, users, and the windows folder which is the only one that should be there.

6. Rearden

Rearden Banned

All those folders will still be there. They're system folders and created when Windows is installed. There should only be a few files in them if you've moved all your data to the other drive and are installing programs to the other drive too. Some programs, though, will continue to install files to the system drive.

7. methodical6

I kinda figured, but almost 60gb worth?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have system restore on, that takes up space. You can delete all except the last restore point. Next have you run a cleanup utility such as CCleaner? If not, then I would do so.
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Next you can move files to the mech hard drive ie docs, mp3s, etc. Do remember that you need at least two copies of data files [if you value the files]

Some programs should be installed on the ssd; things like your AV, Office, etc. Just as an example, I have win7, office 2007, avast, and basic utilities installed on a ssd. All of those take up around 12 gig or so of a 128gig ssd.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice