1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lily4312, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lily4312

lily4312 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am having a major problem with my hard drive and need some help.

I am trying to reformat my HD, but when I reboot my sys. with starter disk, I cannot access the cd rom nor the dvd rom from the a promt. And when I try to boot up with my xp windows, this box comes up that says Set up password and it has a key next to it, and I cannot do anything. Cannot get to bios to find out if the boot is in the right order. I am pretty frustrated right now, I have been at this for two days.

I even used madboot to try and format, and cannot do that either.

I Have a Compaq Presario, 40 gig hard drive,900Mhz AMD Athlon Processor,
    128 MB Memory, I run DSL.

Please some one help me.
    Thank you
    lily4312

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Lily, what is a starter disk? Doesn't sound like an operating system cd. And I CAN NOT IMAGINE that with the specs you posted, that system will EVEN run XP :eek:

3. lily4312

lily4312 Thread Starter

Hi ACACANDY,

The starter disk, one that I made when I formated my 3-1/2 diskette.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Compaq
    System Model: Compaq PC
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~900MHz
    Memory: 256MB RAM
    Page File: 349MB used, 296MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: None
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Thanks for replying .

lily4312

4. Hughv

Hughv

It sounds as though your disk doesn't have the CD ROM drivers.
    Why not just use the XP disk?
    I've heard of XP being run with those specs, but it would be gruesomely slow. I'd consider Ubuntu if I were you.
    You can find a proper boot disk at :
    www.bootdisk.com

5. ~Candy~

Well, it has 256 ram instead of the 128 you mentioned above. But, as mentioned by Hughv, the system must be painfully slow.

And I agree -- just use the XP cd.

6. lily4312

lily4312 Thread Starter

Thank you HUGHV,

I will go check out bootdisk.com. As for re-formatting with my xp disk, I can't because it keeps saying I need to have the Administrator's permission, and I am the ADM. I have also tried to do system restore to an earlier date and it tells me they couldn't do it and nothing has been changed.

Thank you for replying to my thread

lily4312

7. ~Candy~

You are putting the XP disk in the drive, then restarting the computer right? You aren't trying to run it from within Windows?

8. lily4312

lily4312 Thread Starter

Hi ACACANDY,

Yes I reboot with xp in the cd rom, when it comes time for me to make a choice of reinstalling xp, or do a recovery, I click on recovery and it tells me I need to get permission from the administrator, I am the administrator, I am the only one using the computer. Also downloaded bootdisc from bootdisc.com and I rebooted with the disc in drive a: What I keep getting for a message when I try to access drive c: is" Invalid drive specification" I cannot even access drive c: which is the one I want to format. But when I go to command prompt from window, I can get to drive C: I just can't do anything from there, because window is still opened. I have worked on computers before and have re-formatted more than once, but this one has me stumped.

Thank you for trying to help me out I really appreciate it

lily4312

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

You shouldn't be using any boot disks at all with XP. Either you boot directly from the XP CD, or you have special keypresses to start the recovery process. Boot disks haven't been needed since Windows ME.

10. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

What am I missing? Have you tried going to reinstall (instead of recover) and it didn't work or is there some other reason for not taking that path? Is it not allowing the formatting to proceed in the course of reinstalling as well?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

And "Recovery" is not an option offered by the XP CD when booted, so I have no idea where that is coming from. Is this an OEM CD that came with the machine?

12. lily4312

lily4312 Thread Starter

Elvandil

The reason I booted from the disc is because I could not re-format my hard drive with xp, I needed the administrators permission To do a recovery from XP.

I want to re-format the drive, not re-install the xp. This is not my first time doing this, but right now I cannot access C: drive from the dos.

Fairnook

I tried everything, and I cannot access c: drive it tells me invalid drive specification, it's like my c: drive does not exist. If I could access C:drive from A:, I believe my problem would be fixed.

Thank you both for replying.

lily4312

13. ~Candy~

If you reformat it, what are you going to install on it??? :confused:

The XP cd will format and install XP.

14. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Are you familiar with GParted at all (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=173828)? Its an image file you can download and burn to CD (with any image making software) and then boot to that CD and you should be able to get to a graphical representation of you hard drive and perform many actions including formatting to NTFS. It usually works great because its not possible for any interrupts or denials of access by the system to get in your way.

15. lily4312

lily4312 Thread Starter

Hello ACACANDY, FAIRNOOK and ELVANDIL,

Sorry didn;t reply sooner, but I did finally format my hard drive and reinstalled win.xp
    I am now installing my most needed programs right now.

I wanr to thank you very much for your help and everyone else that was so good to help me out.

I always know where to go when I am in trouble with my computer, that is why I don't mind donating once a year. You are all worth it,

I found out that I had used a password when I installed XP almost a year ago, that is why I had so much trouble, When I finally remembered my the password I used, then everything was fine.

But every time I ask for help. I always learn something new. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

lily4312

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice