1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard drives mirrored, need to configure raid for one hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jwv13, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jwv13

jwv13 Thread Starter

Hey Guys,
    I have a Dell XPS 600 with 2 160GB hard drives that mirror each other and would like to be able to reinstall the operating system but I'm not sure how to configure the RAID option. I would like to reinstall the O.S. either on one and keep the other as storage , or keep them mirrored and reinstall the O.S. I am using original Dell XP Media Center Edition 2005 disk. Thanks(y)

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First, you need to decide what you want
    There are two very different procedures.

3. jwv13

jwv13 Thread Starter

I'm being forced to use one hard drive because I believe one is damaged (it test fine but won't boot while attached). So, I would like to use the other hard drive and install xp on it. I've turned RAID off and installed the O.S. but half the start menu is missing (it was XP media edition 2005). Since the I've tried the XP professional disk and it runs through loading stage then says there is no hard drive to install it on. I checked the bios and it's listed. Any thoughts or advice?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you are missing a step or two. That is why I asked what you wanted to do.

You need to first remove the raid info from the drive. This can be done one of two ways;

1 Zero fill the drive using the drive maker's utility

2 Turn raid back on and restart. Enter the raid bios or setup NOT the system bios. Remove the drive from the array and restart. Now enter the system bios and set the sata mode to either native ide or ahci and restart with your windows install disk in the optical drive.

Note if you choose ahci mode for the controller, you will most likely need to load the driver via the F6 prompt during the first part of setup.

5. jwv13

jwv13 Thread Starter

OK. I wrote zeros to the hard drive and turned off raid and installed O.S. I needed to move data (backup) on to the hard drive so I took it out and slaved it to the pc where I had the backup, it didn't see the hard drive so I put it back into the original computer (Dell XPS 600) and it wouldn't boot! Anyone know what happened?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/869554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice