1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard Drive's shot, what to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by barryzito777, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. barryzito777

barryzito777 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I have a Toshiba NB 205-N310/BN Netbook. Apparently my hard drive is damaged and now doesn't work. Warranty's out, I bought this November of 09' and I already had the hard drive replaced once while it was on warranty. Can anyone tell me what my options are?

-Will

P.S. I apologize for any faux paux I may make on the forum, I'm not a frequent user, I jsut drop by when i need advice.

2. Hughv

Hughv

Why do you think it's damaged? What are the symptoms/error messages?
    Do you know why the previous drive was replaced?
    The usual solution to this problem is to replace the drive and reinstall the OS.
    Since your netbook probably doesn't have an optical drive, you may need an external DVD drive.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It would seem to me that Toshiba should have extended the original warranty with regards to the new Hard Drive. You may want to check this.

4. barryzito777

Hugh: Upon trying to reformat the Windows I received error messages saying it could not be completed (i'm sorry I didnt think to write it down at the point) and then I loaded it with Ubuntu and got a message when I booted up that there was a section of the HD that was damaged and needed to be replaced. Afterwards I tried to install a different version of Ubuntu (one that was made for Netbooks) and keep getting error messages saying the hard drive is damaged and cannot be accessed completely for the installation. Do you think a hard drive replacement would be feasable? Or should I jsut be shopping for another Netbook instead?

Jay: I looked it up on the website and my warranty's been up since August of this past year.

5. Hughv

Hughv

Boot to the Windows disk and run chkdsk /r on this drive.
    If it's XP, you need recovery console, which will be the first repair option.
    It's possible you need to replace the drive, which will be far less expensive than a new netbook.
    BTW, I use Ubuntu Netbook remix on my Dell Mini and I really like it.

6. barryzito777

Yeah I really wanted to run Ubuntu on it too but I cant get it to install. it jsut hits that same point where it tells me the hard drive is damaged and it cannot continue. If i buy a new HD do you think It will be easy to install? I know how to do that with desktop computers but I'm not that experienced with the dismantling of notebooks.

7. Hughv

Hughv

If it was mine, I'd flip it over and start taking out screws from any HD sized portion. You could always look up the manual, but that's probably not necessary.

8. barryzito777

Thanks for the tip. I figured out where it was and I got it out. For some reason I always thought hardware removal from laptops/netbooks would be alot more difficult. But it seems its more or less the same as desktops. Now I just need to find a good replacement HD to buy...

9. Hughv

Hughv

I know what you mean. I was much more cautious with my first few laptops.
    Well done.

10. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

A few months ago I replaced a backlight tube in my 40-inch Sony LCD TV and was impressed after I took out about 100 screws and put it back together; I had no shortage of screws, and none leftover. :D

11. barryzito777

Haha I usually end up with 1 left over screw and a look of sheer panic and frustration on my face

12. galoryber

galoryber

:) now that's a proud moment!

13. barryzito777

I could've used your help Frank, I just installed my new HD (500GB for $59.99 awesome deal) and it was a total of 6 screws and i STILL had a tough time....haha

14. barryzito777

New HD's installed. Ubuntu's installed and working well. Thank you Hugh and everyone else for the help!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice