1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hard drives?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by captainron276, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. captainron276

captainron276 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ron
    Ok,

I'm thinking of adding another hard drive to my system which is now approaching 4 years old. I want to use this to make a clone copy then use it as my primary drive. So, what are the best hard drives out today? I really don't need more than a 200G; but have noticed you can purchase the 500G for about the same money and get a higher buffer rate; 32.

This is my current HD: 160GB Seagate ST3160815AS ATA Device (SATA)

Thank you,

Capt

2. fel1x

fel1x

3. captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Fel1x,

Thank you for the info on Seagate drives. I am at a loss to see the length of their warranty, at least I am not finding it on the site.

So far I am leaning toward this drive.

Western-Digital-Caviar-Desktop-WD6401AALS/dp/B001GQYYSQ

4. FijiJohn

FijiJohn

Seagate has been getting coy about warranties. I remember the days of 5-year warranties. (I'm old.) Most brands are pretty reliable, despite strong opinions, esp. from individuals who have a bad experience (or more) with a given brand. Personally, I now use an SSD for my boot drive and love it. Much faster. My 2nd drive is mechanical however. :)

5. captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Is there any noticeable difference between 8,16,32MB Cache's/Buffers on the different drives? I know my Seagate is 8 and am wondering what difference I might notice by going higher.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You should definitely get the largest drive that you can afford. you never know when you may need that space. You may take a liking to downloaded videos or something :D It is only reasonable to prepare for the unexpected.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

The drive's performance is only part of the equation. Your system's speed in being able to move data is also crucial. So getting a drive that is faster than your system will not improve performance at all. Just get the best and largest drive that you can find and you will be fine so long as it is a newer model drive. Remember that all computing takes place in RAM after the data has been loaded from the drive, so the drive is not the rate-limiting step in program execution usually.

7. captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Thank you Elvandil for that link to newegg.com. That's a GREAT price after the discount:) Think I will give that a shot.

Have you checked out my system specs? Will my system handle this drive OK?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

No reason it shouldn't work. SATA drives are interchangeable. The only other consideration would be power, and the difference is not worth mentioning on a system that is not already strained beyond endurance. Yours looks fine. :D

The drive manufacturer has cloning software, or:

Free Drive Cloners/Imagers:

Easeus Disk Copy
    O&O DiskImage Express
    Terabyte CopyWipe (Can securely remove a drive's contents, or it can copy an old drive to a new one)
    Runtime Shadow Copy
    Dr. Freeware boot CD (also has file recovery, Avast scanner, and partitioning tools)
    EASEUS Todo Backup (Partition and drive imaging)
    EASEUS Disk Copy (Partition and drive cloning)
    Farstone Driveclone Express
    Macrium Reflect
    Paragon Drive Backup Express
    G4U - Ghost For Unix (Platform-independent, floppy or CD)
    Clonezilla (Bare-metal restoration from image)
    Partimage
    Dubaron Diskimage
    SystemRescueCD
    EaseUs Disk Copy (Copies disks or partitions)
    XXClone
    CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
    Drive Image XML
    Partition Saving
    PCI CloneMaxx
    HDClone
    DriveClonerXP
    Self-Image
    copyr.dma (Copies disk with bad sectors for recovery)
    DiscWizard (For Seagate or Maxtor drives - contains reduced version of Acronis)

Commercial Apps:

EMC (Dantz) Retrospect
    Casper
    NTI Backup Now (Image Edition)
    XXClone Pro (One of the fastest incremental backups)
    JustBoot Disk Backuper
    ASIS Backup (Bootable disk image)
    Paragon Drive Backup
    DT Utilities PC Backup Pro (formerly, Migo PC Backup)
    Easy Image
    [email protected] Disk Image
    O&O DiskImage
    Acronis True Image Home
    Farstone Drive Clone (Drive image, snapshots, file/folder backups.)
    EAZ-FIX Professional and Easy Image
    Drive Snapshot
    ShadowProtect (Also online backups.)
    Keriver Image
    Avanquest Copy Commander
    Paragon Drive Backup
    NovaBackup
    R-Drive Image
    Norton Ghost
    HDClone Pro or Enterprise
    Terabyte Image for Windows
    Terabyte Image for DOS (can directly access FAT, FAT32, and NTFS partitions)
    Spotmau Disk Clone & Backup

(The great thing about cloning is that so long as you don't ruin the original, if you fail, you just try again. :D)

9. captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    OK, one more ?. I know my case has an extra slot for the HD, what I'm not sure of is how to hook up the new drive? Are the cables/ribbon in there, or do I need to purchase something else with the new drive? Also, is this something I can do? I have put in one HD before; but never have done this Cloning thing before. Once the Clone is done, do I have to put the new HD into the old HD position. Gee, looks like more than one ? here...LOL

Thanks in advance:)

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Even though it says "bare drive", I'm sure a SATA cable is included. You'll have to check for a power connector. It's pretty much plug-and-play since there are no jumpers or master/slave with SATA drives.

Then, you run your cloner. Put the new drive in the original spot (a "clone" expects its environment to be identical to the original drive's, of course), and boot up.

I doubt you need anything else.

You could then use your old drive in that second position for more space after formatting it from Windows.

(The new drive doesn't have to be moved physically to the original position after cloning if the cable reaches its temporary location. It just needs to be connected the same way as the original.)

Yes, you can do it. Have the forum online on another machine while you do it in case you need to ask a question. When done, you'll wonder why people pay so much to the geeks to do it for them (at least until you need them for a reason that is really beyond your abilities, and you will then see why they are worth what they charge)

11. captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Thank you :) Will mark this solved:)

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. Let us know how you make out. Good luck :D

13. captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Elvandil,
    My HD arrives tomorrow afternoon. I was checking at Dell to see what info they had on my system as far as adding this second drive. They said: "Connecting up an new HD in an Inspiron is easy. You will need an SATA data cable, you will have two empty SATA connectors on your mobo, the power cable is already there. After you put the drive in, press F2 at the Dell boot screen, scroll down to your drive, hit enter to enable it, save changes and bootup. After you bootup Press Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage, Disk Management, Right click on Drive, Select format, After format select drive letter."

Is this what I need to do as you did not mention this above?

Ron

14. captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Well my drive just arrived and of course no Data cable:( I was looking through my tool box and came across a cable that might be one; but not sure. I have not taken my tower apart yet as I am using it now to ask more ?'s. The drive has two rows of 4 pins, is this where the Data cable hooks up? If so, the cable I have has only 4 slots and no way of knowing up from down. Anyway, I guess I need to go visit the computer store tomorrow. I will take the cover off just to see what is hooked up to my current drive.

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Like This .. (left to right) .. Power > Sata.

Two rows of 4 pins is for jumpers .. Not needed.
    Look one the side of the Power/SATA Connector/Plug there is a keyway .. it goes on the outside

Attached Files:

• 946.jpg
      946.jpg
      File size:
      122.1 KB
      Views:
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice