1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Harddisk2 Bad Block

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by babs277, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babs277

babs277 Thread Starter

Hello! Hello! Hello!
    It's been years since I've actually posted here but now I need some help.

I recently had to replace my PSU on my ZT desktop ... which I researched how to do in these forums. Success!
    Unfortunately, I started my research after I had already restarted my computer many, many times ... which I later learned can cause further damage to other components in my computer.
    I had read somewhere here about checking the Event Viewer ... which I did before replacing the PSU.
    I didn't understand all that was in mine, but I jotted down a couple things. One that had reoccurred several times was
    Event ID: 7 Source: Disk \Harddisk2\DR2, has a bad block.

Anyway, after I installed the new "identical" PSU, everything seemed to be fine. But, that "bad block" thing kept bugging me. After learning what I could about it here, I decided I needed to do something.
    Seeing as everything seemed to be working fine' I decided to do an "image" backup thing. I've had a ClickFree C6 for months and finally ran the full system image/backup thing last night.
    At the end, the ClickFree indicated it was successful. So I unplugged the ClickFree and tried to shut down the computer.
    It started to shut down ... then I got a black and white screen filled with a bunch of info. It was late and there was no way I could remember everything I read or even try to write it down.

The one thing I somewhat remember was something about doing a Crash Dump or dumping data ... and protecting Windows from corruption. Does that sound familiar?
    The computer eventually rebooted by itself and powered up fine. Then, I once again did a shut down and everything went as normal. That was last night.

Now I'm afraid to turn the computer on anymore than necessary. So, what I want to know is ...
    1- Does all this sound like a bad hard drive?
    2- Can someone help me with fixing it or replacing it. I'm great at following directions but I need them in simple terms. I'm not very computer savvy. I don't even know what a hard drive looks like!
    3- What info do you need and where can I find it. I'll power up and send it along ... hopefully. Should I download that TSG SysInfo link?

Some things I do know ...
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+, 2712 MHz
    Hard Drive (C:) 138486 MB (47% Free) 294511 MB Total Space
    Hard Drive (H:) 5790 MB (53% Free) 10730 MB Total Space

Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm on my laptop right now but I'll power up my desktop as soon as I hear back from someone.
    :D babs

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    A Windows crash could be caused by any number of issues.

You can run chkdsk to check the drives for file damage and errors.

To test the HDD's, you can use the disk drive manufacturers disk tools (available from the manufacturers website). Run the short and long test. If either test fails or reports errors, the drive is faulty.

3. marbski

marbski

back up your important data and reinstall back the operating system...

4. babs277

babs277 Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me Oddba11 and marbski. I really appreciate it!

I'll run the chkdsk first thing in the morning. But ... how do I find out the manufacturer for my HDD? Or is running the chkdsk the same thing? Could I open up the tower again and find the name of my HDD's manufacturer that way?

I did do that complete system image thing with my ClickFree C6 after I installed the new power supply so I'm good on that end ... I hope. It supposedly backs up the entire computer ... OS and files, etc.

I never did make any system back-up disks when I first bought the computer so I can't re-install the operating system that way. Not too smart of me, right?

Anyway, I'll check back in tomorrow after I run the chkdsk utlilty. I'm probably worrying about nothing, but I'd like to be sure! Computer problems are a nightmare for me! I feel so stupid when it happens!

Thanks again for being there to help!
    babs

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Ignore marbski as that is unnecessary just yet..

Boot your Windows into a Command Prompt using F8 to get the menu.

Then run:
    CHKDSK / r

That will take a long time so run it overnight. It will do a surface check and try to recover or relocate bad sectors - it does often actually recover the data from the sector as well.

6. babs277

babs277 Thread Starter

Well ... I'm back!

We had thunderstorms in the area for a couple days, so I didn't get a chance until this afternoon to run the chkdsk.

I'm happy to report that it ran to completion ... all the way through to rebooting itself back to my desktop. I haven't had much time to "play around" with it, but everything seems to be fine.

The chkdsk would have given me a log or warning of some kind if something was wrong ... Right? The chkdsk ran for several hours ... maybe 4-1/2 or so. I didn't see anything scary on the screen while it was running but I didn't sit and watch the whole time.

So what do ya all think? If no one there has any further concerns, then I'm satisfied too.
    Thank you so very much for giving so generously of your time and expertise. I truly appreciate it.

Sincerely,
    babs

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  8. babs277

babs277 Thread Starter

Thanks etaf (Wayne)!

I'm going to take a look at it when I get home. Hopefully I'll understand what I'm reading. I had tried to find the log after it ran, but no luck. I'll use your "how to" which is much much clearer for me. Thanks.

I'll check back in afterwards.

Many thanks!!!
    babs

9. babs277

babs277 Thread Starter

Well I "tried" to check the chkdsk log ... without much success.
    I honestly did not understand what I was looking at. BUT ... I also did not see any glaring warnings or error messages either.
    Everything seems to be working fine now, so maybe the chkdsk utility fixed whatever had caused the previous hiccups. All's well that end's well!
    So ... thank you for all your help.
    Sincerely,
    babs

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it can be like that in those logs
    but sounds like it did fix something

fingers crossed
    (y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1066670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice