Solved: Harddrive Partition Problem - Error #114

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DJ Masters

My system consists of dual boot Win XP SP2 and Linux, 2 internal harddisks (Disk 1 partitioned as C, D, and E, and Disk 2 with Linux partitions and F). I also have a network disk (NDAS) for backups. Two optical drives (an older DVD-R/RAM and a CD-RW).

I use Partition Magic 8(PM8) to manage my partitions. Some time ago I noticed that Disk 1 was reported as having an error that was preventing me from doing any changes to Disk 1:

Error #114: Logical starting at 33093963 is not one head away from EPBR.

XP's Storage Manager finds nothing wrong. The error was not affecting the system in any other way so I've let it go. Backups, s/w access, etc were not affected, but I'm desperate to increase the size of the C partition. I searched the Symantec website and e-mailed them (since they own PM) without success 6 months ago.

I figure that the only recourse is to reformat/repartition Disk 1. The D and E partitions contain easily backed up data, so my problem is limited to C. If I reformat Disk 1, can I use the backup from Backup myPC to restore the OS or will I have to reload everything from scratch? Is there a better way?

I've backed up the entire system onto the NDAS and can write to DVD-R if necessary.

Dallen

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online