Solved: Hardware Diagnostic Card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

killah

I have seen these cards once in a while, usually PCI based, you plug them into PCI slot, turn them on, and supposedly diagnose the computer, even "dead" ones i think, and give you error messages on what was wrong. Now I have 2 questions...

1) Do these cards actually work well?
2) If so, whats the names of these cards, or where can i find more info on them?

Thanks!

Using your own words, try Google with
PCI Diagnostic Card
For 182,000 hits.....

I use one of these in my workshop, they're called POST cards, they relay the current status of the computer's self-test routine as it powers up. If the computer doesn't POST (i.e. turns on but nothing comes up on the screen, and Windows doesn't load) then by looking at the POST card you can often tell what part of the computer failed the test (e.g. CPU, RAM). They're something you use in conjuction with any other tests you might perform on a computer that doesn't start up, e.g. trying a new powersupply, CPU, RAM and so on.

killah

Since you have used them, from your experience, how well do they work?

Because of the non-standard nature of the POST codes (over the years new codes are added by different manufacturers) the actual codes you get aren't very meaningful. I use it mainly to tell if a motherboard is completely dead, or just in need of a BIOS reset, RAM contact clean etc. They're a bit cryptic, really. As I said, it's something you use in conjunction with other diagnostic procedures, on its own it isn't much help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online