1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hardware Diagnostic Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by killah, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. killah

killah Thread Starter

I have seen these cards once in a while, usually PCI based, you plug them into PCI slot, turn them on, and supposedly diagnose the computer, even "dead" ones i think, and give you error messages on what was wrong. Now I have 2 questions...

1) Do these cards actually work well?
    2) If so, whats the names of these cards, or where can i find more info on them?

Thanks!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Using your own words, try Google with
    PCI Diagnostic Card
    For 182,000 hits.....

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

I use one of these in my workshop, they're called POST cards, they relay the current status of the computer's self-test routine as it powers up. If the computer doesn't POST (i.e. turns on but nothing comes up on the screen, and Windows doesn't load) then by looking at the POST card you can often tell what part of the computer failed the test (e.g. CPU, RAM). They're something you use in conjuction with any other tests you might perform on a computer that doesn't start up, e.g. trying a new powersupply, CPU, RAM and so on.

4. killah

killah Thread Starter

Since you have used them, from your experience, how well do they work?

5. Arcadion

Arcadion

Because of the non-standard nature of the POST codes (over the years new codes are added by different manufacturers) the actual codes you get aren't very meaningful. I use it mainly to tell if a motherboard is completely dead, or just in need of a BIOS reset, RAM contact clean etc. They're a bit cryptic, really. As I said, it's something you use in conjunction with other diagnostic procedures, on its own it isn't much help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice