1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hardware firewall - did I luck out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bob Parks, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks Thread Starter

Hello,

My VOIP company sent me a router/adapter. I installed using their settings. Nothing more.

Since then Zone Alarm has not recorded any intrusions so I guess they are being caught at router/adapter.

I always thought a hardware firewall required a techno geek and the changing of lots of settings to install.

Is it normal that a nerd setting up a VOIP would accidentally do the job? I'm concerned that I may have gummed something up and creeps are slipping by ZA because of something I didn't know to do with the router/adapter.

Any calming words will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The VoIP adapter has a NAT layer, aka firewall. This blocks any incoming unsolicited request. There's a downside to this protection, you can't forward ports from the outside. :)

When I had my VoIP adapter in front of the router, I configured the VoIP to put my router in the DMZ of it's NAT layer so all the requests came through. This allowed my to basically ignore the VoIP box.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks Thread Starter

Thanks John.

Since I have never, don't know even what it means, to "forward ports from the outside" I guess I am secure. I appreciate your answer.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Glad we could help.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice