1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Has Anyone Used Liquid Cooled CPUs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TeeJayP, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TeeJayP

TeeJayP Thread Starter

I have a 4u Rackmount PC which uses an Intel E6600 processor. Space is limited and
    fan noise must be kept low as this PC is DAW. My Cpu temperature is too high
    and the only thing that works is bigger noisier fans. I am considering a liquid CPU cooler.
    Was just looking at some at the local retailer. I would very much appreciate comments
    and/or suggestions from anyone who has experience with them.

2. DVrE

DVrE

i have been looking at using liquid cooling for about a month. i haven't heard anything bad about it, except if your stupid you might slice open the tubes, thus destroying your computer. but i doubt your stupid (especially since your looking at liquid cooling) so it looks like it would be a good idea. sorry i can't say this from experience though

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I used it for awhile until my water block sprung a leak. It wasn't a cheap block, it was a swiftech apogee GT.

Fortunately for me I found the leak before any damage occured. Scared me away from liquid cooling. :(

4. TeeJayP

TeeJayP Thread Starter

The results of a leak were one of my primary concerns. I also don't know if the outboard fans required would be any quieter than installing more and better inboard
    fans, although this would just be to increase in-chasis air flow as there is no way to get
    a much bigger fan on the CPU itself. No Room. Thanks for the input. Will leave this posted for now for more.

5. TeeJayP

TeeJayP Thread Starter

As it turns out the "radiator" style of liquid coolers I have been looking at are indeed noisier than better fans. I am running into typical noise specs of 20dba for the radiator
    fans and 20dba for the pump. There are some pretty impressive looking heat pump systems out there and one device I saw which was like an internal AC device for the CPU.
    (Internal to the Box, of course.) The price for some of these can also be in the $200. range. You could buy some pretty nice fans for that.

Fact is, after reseating of the CPU heat-sink, (again); and a better application of arctic silver, my low-load CPU temp dropped to about 50C from the 57C where it was. I also downloaded Intel's Themal Analysis Tool and it states these temperature a full 5C lower then my Intel Desktop Tool does, numbers which I am more inclined to believe. So now that my low-load CPU temp is 45C instead of 57C and my high load temps only go up to 62C instead of 68C, (I believe thats close to the thermal shutdown temp for this CPU, yikes);
    a fan with more beef, horizontal instead of vertical airflow, and improved chasis circulation
    will get me where I need to be.

Thanks for the warning about leaks, I was afraid of that.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice