1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Have 41.0 GB of free space but....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by EnchantedRealm, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EnchantedRealm

EnchantedRealm Thread Starter

Have 41.0 GB of free space, but when I try to install a program that is 104 MB it tells me there is not enough space. Any idea how to fix? Thanks :)

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Where are you seeing the amount of free space? Is the hard drive partitioned? If so, what are the partitions and free space on each? What is the EXACT error message?

3. EnchantedRealm

I am really computer illeritate. How do I tell if it is partitioned or not?

4. EnchantedRealm

I have Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security on my lap top and wanted to put it on my desk top. After Trend Micro unpacks the compressed files, I receive the following: Computer does not meet all the requirements right now.
    Not enough memory available. If I open my computer and put my cursor on C, it says: Free Space 40.5 GB Total Size 71.4 GB

5. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

when your trying to install the program is it picking the C:\ drive as the default install location? do you have any other drives present in the machine?

6. EnchantedRealm

As far as I know it is. Never had a problem before. Although I have not used this computer in quite a while. Is there any way I can check to see?

7. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

well when your installing the package should give you the option of where you want to install the software, just check and make sure your installing to the C:\ drive.
    Checking if you have any more drives by just opening "Computer" (my computer) and see what drives are listed e.g. C:, D:, E: and on and on

8. EnchantedRealm

Yes, it is C: drive it is trying to install to. Other drives listed are, D: DVD drive and E: Removable Disk

9. itsjusme

itsjusme

That probably means that you`re running low on ram, not free disk space.
    How much ram is in that machine?
    Right click MY COMPUTER, then select PROPERTIES . In the bottom right it will tell you type of processor, speed and ram installed.

Press CTRL>ALT>DEL to bring up task manager, click on PERFORMANCE. Look at PHYSICAL MEMORY: Total and Available?
    Can you give us that info and the make and model of the machine?

10. EnchantedRealm

Just in case it matters, I ran Disk Clean Up last night and also Defraged the computer.

11. EnchantedRealm

Dell Dimension Dim 3000 Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 ghz
    2.79 ghz, 256 mb RAM

Total 260080
    Available 88672
    System Cache 121732

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

13. EnchantedRealm

Thank you so much for your help everyone :) I will follow the link and try to reslove the issue. You all have been great. Thanks again.

14. itsjusme

itsjusme

256mb of ram is considered bare minimum for XP BEFORE you add any other programs or updates, i believe that is your problem. I suggest adding more ram, get it up to at least 512mb, preferrably 1g. Even if you get that program to eventually install, with 256mb of ram that things going to be agonizingly slow.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!