1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Have to power cycle psu after computer is left alone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trolatree, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trolatree

trolatree Thread Starter

Whenever I turn off my computer or let it sleep for a decent period of time, pressing the power button on my case causes the fans to spin for a second then they stop. Pressing the button again does nothing. I then reach to the back of my PC and cycle the switch on and off. I am then able to press the power button and my computer then turns on.

The specs of my PC are as follows:
    Intel i5 4690k
    Asus Z97-E
    MSI twin frozrIII hd 7850
    Some low voltage 8gb Samsung memory
    430W Corsair CX430
    1 TB Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD
    Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB SSD
    NZXT h440
    Windows 8.1 pro 64bit

I did do a mod in which I changed the voltage of my case fans so that they were not as loud.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well you are using the wrong power supply for you system so I'd start there. 430 watt power supply is pretty low for high-end system and it's a basic power supply for basic systems even according to the manufacturer: http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/cx430-80-plus-bronze-certified-power-supply
    Realistically you should have a 600 watt or higher unit and from a series designed for high stress such as the Corsair TX, HX, or AX lines or a higher end Seasonic power supply.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Intel Core i5-4690K processor uses 88 watts and the MSI HD 7850 Twin Frozr III graphics card uses 130 watts.

Add the wattage requirements for the motherboard, RAM, hard drives, etc. and you're pushing the limits of that power supply.

Rob is one of the hardware experts here, so I would follow his advice.

---------------------------------------------

4. trolatree

trolatree Thread Starter

Ok thanks, I have been looking at getting a modular power supply after my upgrade to the i5. I just didn't think that was the problem because it has never had a problem while running. Thanks for the help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice