1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: have to switch user to continue after switch on

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by newbigging, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newbigging

newbigging Thread Starter

Hello,

I use windows 7.
    When I turn on laptop (acer Aspire 5742) cannot connect to internet until I switch user and log in again. Soon as I touch any browser icon the rest of computer stops responding as well. It's only me on computer. Have virgin media security/ spyware/ virus protection. Tried CCleaner. After I switch user everything is fine.
    Additional info; On 16th October had great difficulty getting my emails from Yahoo. Sometimes sign-in box appeared without my security signature and different style of writing for browser remembered log-on details.

Cheers,

Gordon.

2. Sponsor

3. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Are you using "Switch User" or are you logging out and logging in as a different user?

What I would do, is get the machine running, "Log out", then log in. Do this with every user account.

This will clear out the "Switch User stored data" so it will not be there tying up the internet access.

I do NOT use "Switch User" as it creates issues like this.

4. mvirata

mvirata

How many users are using your computer? If you reboot your machine and use another profile, is everything OK? I am checking to see if it's profile specific. Also you may want to try malwarebytes.

5. newbigging

hello DaveA & mvirata,

Speedy responses, thanks!

The computer I use is for me only.
    I only used switch user by chance and the computer started working ok. I accessed that option using ctrl/alt/del as nothing else was available - everything else was frozen except for windows logo button which disappeared if you clicked on anything.
    The last thing I did ten minutes ago was ctrl/alt/ del then clicked on cancel without accessing switch user or log off (which I tried first after reading your post, DaveA).

So it seems to be the pressing of ctrl/ alt/ del that unfreezes the computer. Sorry about misdirection. Any other thoughts?

Have not tried your other suggestion yet, mvirata - malwarebytes - Look into that option now.

Cheers for now,

Gordon.
    Re additional info part
    Found out reason for missing signature on yahoo email log-in. I was using firefox instead of IE. In case it was browser problem.

6. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Your screensaver may be set to "Lock " the computer, and if you do not have a user account password, then all one needs to do is click the desktop.

Check the screensaver settings and see if "On resume, display login screen" is checked?

If so, remove the check marked, and OK yourself out.

7. newbigging

Hello again DaveA,

The screen saver was not on and the box was not ticked.

Ran antivirus check last night using Stopzilla and it said I had
    1) Rogue / antiviruscenter

2) Spyware Ac / roguewin32systems - this is located in start up.

Will try 'malwarebytes' (suggested by mvirata) after I send this to see what it comes up with since malwarebytes and filezilla are the same price £19.99.

Strange how when I booted up this morning comp froze except for internet access to filezilla payment form. Is filezilla safe? or is it a con virus to get us to buy their product.

Cheers,

Gordon.

Update; Ran 'malwarebytes' trial version and problem still the same. Never Saw anything about "Rogue". Is the full - paid for -version different .

8. mvirata

mvirata

Hopefully I got you in time but you shouldn't have to pay for anything. Malwarebytes has a free version for home use. In fact, you don't need to pay for anything to fix this problem. Filezilla is a simple FTP program, I am not sure how this got into the picture.

Before you do anything just run malwarebytes and do a full scan. Hopefully you are able to update it to the latest version before this.

Also if it's possible see if you can create another administrator user account. If you can, see if that user has the same problems. In many cases malware only affects the profile, not the entire machine. So if you create another user account, there is a good chance you won't have the same issues. From here you could scan your whole machine again and then move your files over from the old account to the new one. Then you can delete the account that is messed up.

The absolute worst case scenario is to get your files on a usb drive, then do a factory restore or a re installation of the OS. You should not have to pay for anything to fix this problem.

9. newbigging

hello again mvirata,

First, I meant Stopzilla - not Filezilla (which I use to upload my songs to my website).:eek:

Here's what i've done so far since last time

1) Full scan using Stopzilla - free trial

2) Full scan using Ad-aware by Lavasoft - free software

3) Full scan using Malwarebytes - free trial version

And nothing has changed.
    I'll look into what you suggest tomorrow.

*Thinking back, this all started when I let a friend access her email from my computer. She shouted that the computer had switched itself off. I thought she had just made a mistake. She does not have a computer. Later, switching on computer, it booted up then shut itself down then restarted on it's own. After that I had to use ctrl/alt/del to get normal running. No more shutting down on it's own though. So maybe you and daveA are on the right track that something might have been inadvertantly altered. (I had been wondering if she had opened a scam email and clicked a link - I delete everything I never asked for). Keep you informed.

Cheers for now and thanks,

Gordon.

Still embarrassed about File/Stop/Zilla

* It might just been a coincidence. With computers I always feel potentially one click from disaster.

10. newbigging

Hello mvirata & DaveA,

Don't know why but when I switched computer on this morning - no problems.

I've switched it off and on about 8 times over last 6 hours and no matter what I do It keeps working properly. I'm at my wits end.
    Ok, only kidding. Only thing I did differently from normal was to change my background desktop picture, last night, from 'Acer background' to one my own pictures from picture library. (but it was Acer background before problem?)

Anyway, thanks for all the help and suggestions. Restores your faith in human nature, people like yourselves, and sites like these.

Cheers and best wishes,

Gordon:)

11. mvirata

mvirata

Great, now you can uninstall all those crazy cleaner software. This is opinion but I only use the following protection:

Microsoft Security Essentials - for Virus Scan
    Glary Utilities - my favorite one click clean up software, run once every 2 weeks
    Zone Alarm - firewall (totally optional because it can be a pain on occasion)
    Malware Bytes - I rarely run this but I keep it up to date, just in case

I try not to clutter my system too much, that in itself can cause issues. Good luck!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1022989