1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Having amazing trouble with opening programs on my computer. Help please?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wristsofsteel, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wristsofsteel

wristsofsteel Thread Starter

Hello. :3 So I was bored and wanted to use windows movie maker, but it wouldn't open and a little window just said error. I was thinking, "what if what ever program is being used to open it isn't working?" so I search the progam on the little start window and right click on it then i went to "open with..." and chose one. Then all the icons for all the programs on the bottom tool bar changed and then when I tried to open one it just said, "sorry (random program) doesn't support (random program) so it can't open." I've been trying to restore it to it's original state but nothing's worked. I can't even remember how i got on the internet! Can someone help me please? I'd very much appreciate it! Thank you! <3

2. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

1. Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Default Programs.
    2. Click Set Default Programs
    3. Click on each program you normally use and select at the bottom 'Set this program as default'.
    EDIT: Wow this is really hard to do manually. I have a program I can do this all automatically on by clicking a few buttons, but unfortunately am unable to let anyone use the program.

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try this fix: LNKFix

Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the Desktop. Right-click the .REG file and choose Merge. Note that you need to be an Administrator to apply this fix.

Reboot the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

4. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

Thanks for the file Phantom010.

5. Phantom010

Don't thank me yet. Let's see if it works first... :)

6. wristsofsteel

Okay well I downloaded the LNK fix and did what you said to do. But when I clicked merge it said, "Cannot inport C:\Users\Sam\Desktop\Ink_fix_w7.reg: Not all data was succefully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes."

By the way thank you for helping LagunaGTO and Phantom010! :)

7. Phantom010

Try it in Safe Mode.

Don't forget to reboot after merging the fix.

8. wristsofsteel

The link didn't work, :( and I won't forget.

9. Phantom010

10. wristsofsteel

Everything is working now! :) You're so awsome! Thank you so much!

11. Phantom010

You're welcome!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!