1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Having Outlook Start Up Automatically?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by astrodaddy, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. astrodaddy

astrodaddy Thread Starter

Hello,

How do I configure Outlook Express to open automatically when I start my com?

Right now im simply opening it and minimizing it on my desktop but I would like to be able to have it start up on its own and check for messages, but im having a heckuva time figuring this out. Ive already tried a forum search but with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi astrodaddy

Create a shortcut for Outlook Express, drag (and hold) it onto the Start button, when the Start Menu expands drag the shortcut over to the Startup folder, wait for it to expand, then drop it there.

Or copy the Outlook Express shortcut, right click on the Start button.
    Select Explore all users
    Expand the Programs folder
    Expand the Startup folder and paste the shortcut in the right hand pane.

Restart your computer to test.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

3. astrodaddy

That worked great, but I was kinda wanting it to open in the bar down by the time with a little icon, so it can run in the background. I thought it was like that in ME? Im running XP by the way. If it cant work that way, no problem and thanks!

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Outlook Express doesn't sit in the System tray.
    A third party program HideOE 1.1.1 says it will give Outlook Express that ability.
    I haven't tried it yet, myself.

Let us know what you think.

5. astrodaddy

Ill give it a try and thanks for the info and great help!

I love this site!!!

6. astrodaddy

Thanks EAFiedler!

The program works EXACTLY like it says! It creates an icon in the system tray and you simply right click to open it and right click to minimize it! And the best part is its freeware with no added spyware!

And for those who download, install and run it for the first time, dont forget to right click the "envelope" icon in the system tray that it creates, go to options and tick the box that says "Auto-Start With Windows" before you re-start. Will save you a headache!

And if you tried this,

Create a shortcut for Outlook Express, drag (and hold) it onto the Start button, when the Start Menu expands drag the shortcut over to the Startup folder, wait for it to expand, then drop it there.

Or copy the Outlook Express shortcut, right click on the Start button.
    Select Explore all users
    Expand the Programs folder
    Expand the Startup folder and paste the shortcut in the right hand pane.

Restart your computer to test.

You can completely undo this! It wont be neccessary if you use this program.
    (great big thanks to EAFiedler for the recomendation tho!)

Thanks again!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!