1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Having serious speed problems with DLINK router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Varouj, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Varouj

Varouj Thread Starter

Hello.
    I recently purchased a DLINK 604 router, but im finding somethings really odd. i used to have a smc router which worked really nicely, speeds were great on the three computers in our household. now when i put together my network on my dlink 604 the speeds are good for about 30 seconds to a minute then boom it slows down so bad that i can change my msn status to busy without waiting for it to change in about 20 seconds. the speeds are terrible. and my internet direct connect is 2000 times faster then this. i have tried everything i took my router to my friends house he hooked it up and it worked perfectly for him were on the same isp too. Rogers cable. but when i brought it back still, terrible speeds, i updated firmware and still terrible speeds. but when i release ip and renew i get that burst of speed for about 30 seconds then i get slow again.

the computers that are being used on thsi network are all running the same OS, windows xp. but i dont think thats the problem since the router knows how to go fast it just shuts that feature off...

Can anyone please please pelase tell me how to fix this, it would be appreciated...

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Probably time to call the cable company to check the problem.

3. Varouj

Varouj Thread Starter

well the isp im on (rogers) dosent take networking calls, but i know that my speeds are good because of that burst. but, if i direct connect the modem to my computer i get amazing speeds, its something with the router...

4. play1998

play1998

what i will first try to connect directly to the modem and see if you get the same problem with 1 computer directly if so then its a problem with isp if not them call router company.

dude check out for the MSblast virus lol that will cause to overflow and cause slow speeds :)

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Well, you said the router works at your friend's house, so that shouldn't be the problem..........but if you hook the modem up to your computer everything is lovely? Check your cable from the modem to the router.

Are you going from ethernet connector on the modem to NIC card on the computer? If so, are you using the same cable when you test the router to computer portion?

6. Varouj

Varouj Thread Starter

hmm play good idea im going to run scans over the 3 computers but as i said i did direct connect and i get MASSIVE speeds, incredible speeds....its something i just cant put my finger on it!

7. Varouj

Varouj Thread Starter

and for some reason dlink has a support number in canada but its busy...
    ???

8. Varouj

Varouj Thread Starter

9. play1998

play1998

like i stateed lol i see a lot of people getting this man umm ok why don't you do this cuz member the virus does not have to be on all the computers to give the issue it could be on only one of them. why don't you try connecting 1 computer directly to the router and no thing else and see if the same issue occurs :) try your best computer and the one that you tried directly to the modem. I know if you are not infected then i don't know. but the wierd thing you said it was that when you released and renewd it got better it got faster again right ??? well that is wierd man try another router or something and see whats up, unless you got something going on the network chocking up the bandwith.

let us know hope you can get it relsolved

10. Varouj

Varouj Thread Starter

well right now, im running off my router. this is one computer connected. its to the router. the best computer in my house. the second best is my brothers computer, i will connect his.

when i run of 1 port the internet is regular like its supposed to be speed wise, but as soon as i add in another computer 1 minute of regular speed then down it goes.

11. play1998

play1998

okok good good so 1 computer works fine then right ?? that eliminates that computer, try the other one directly to it and see whats up and then the other one. it could be one of those bad boys causing issue

by the way at your friends house did you try it with how many computers and where they yours ??

12. Varouj

Varouj Thread Starter

i tried it with 3 computers that were on and one computer that was off all running windows xp...he also has the same router as me. none of te computers were mine...but his network seemed to be running fine....

13. Varouj

Varouj Thread Starter

O man play1998 i owe you so bad. i just direct connected one computer at a time and used trend micros free online virus scanner because i didnt want to install norton but as soon as i ran it it found a nache worm, that worm is the replica or simlar version of MS BLAST, it slows down your network....thanks a lot

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I just had to return my first D-Link DI-614+ router because the WAN port seemed to have electrical issues. I'd get connections in the 50-200kbit range, instead of the 1.2-1.5mbit range with it. I tried a bunch of different things, finally took it back, the replacement runs like a top. I'd consider returning it as defective. Also, it's possible your broadband modem isn't compatible with the router, I remember some issues with Toshiba modems and several brands of routers a while back.

15. Varouj

Varouj Thread Starter

welp its all fixed now thank god my speeds on my network are all back like they used to be im really greatful!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice