1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Having to Open With... Every program

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Diius, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Diius

Diius Thread Starter

First time here, just had a quick question or 2 :)

First, after having the comp for a week or so (got it from a friend for cheap, in perfect condition) any time i try opening a program such as Word, the Open With screens pops up, and i have to find the program manually and open it.

Second, when try to open anything in the control panal, such as add/remove programs, an error pops up that reads:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    Application not found

Would love an answer to help me fix these problems.

Thanks again

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Maybe this will help with the first problem. If not sorry I bothered you.
    In windows explorer>tools>folder options does the box look like this?

3. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

In Windows explorer does the box look like this?

Attached Files:

4. Diius

Diius Thread Starter

Im using firefox, hold on

5. Diius

Diius Thread Starter

Sorry, it's not letting me on IE. Searched it and the Open With screen popped up as usual, and I cannot find it. Any chance you know where the IE folder is under?

6. Diius

Diius Thread Starter

Ok, well i found it (feel stupid now :p), but when i try and open it, nothing is happening. Any help?

7. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Diius, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If you can't access the Internet use another computer to download it onto a floppy or CD and transfer it to the problem computer. If you can't run the file do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Note: I'm assuming you're running Windows XP

Tufenuf

8. Diius

Diius Thread Starter

Ok, sorry, i feel stupid atm, but when i went to the page, it didnt give me anything to download, how should i save the text to my hard drive?

9. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Just click on the words "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

Tufenuf

10. Diius

Diius Thread Starter

Worked like a charm, thank you for all your help :)

11. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Diius, Glad to see that it worked and Thanks for posting back. You could mark this thread "Solved" using the "Thread Tools" at the top.

Tufenuf

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/713060