1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Having Trouble Dual Booting Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows 7 ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dragonwrxsti, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dragonwrxsti

dragonwrxsti Thread Starter

The Laptop model number is Gateway MT6916, I partition the drive using windows vista, then proceed to install windows 7. Windows 7 finished installing then rebooted, the odd thing about was that there was no bootloader (for dual booting). The laptop booted into the gateway recovery instead. I check the Bcdedit just using the command prompt from the gateway recovery and everything seem to listed fine with the exception that windows 7 identifier is <default>. I tried repairing the startup for vista and windows 7 but it still keeps booting to the gateway recovery? Windows Vista Home Premium is under C: and Windows 7 is under D:

Laptop Specs:
    Processor Intel® Core 2 Duo processor T5250
    1.5 GHz | 1 MB L2 cache | 667 MHz FSB
    Chipset Intel® GM965
    Display panel 15.4-inch WXGA (1280 × 800)
    Memory 2048 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2 × 1024)
    Operates at 667 MHz
    Total slots: 2 DDR2 slots | Available slots: 0 DDR2 slots
    Video controller Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    Up to 384 MB of Dynamic Video Memory

Thanks

David

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Vista is C: and 7 is D: when viewed from where? The drive letters will change depending what is looking. Therse are assigned in the registry in NT and are not drive labels inherent to the drives.

See if you can boot to either one of the installations using this Boot Loader CD Image. If you get into either one, try EasyBCD or VistaBootPro to correct the entries.

3. dragonwrxsti

I viewed it from the command prompt inside the installation CD. i just type in bcdedit and it shows which windows is listed i shall follow what you just mentioned and see how that goes thanks!

4. dragonwrxsti

I've tried using the boot loader cd image, it listed 3 partition total. Partition 1 and 2 boots into the gateway recovery and the last partition states that bootmgr is missing. When it also boots up the gateway system recovery it shows windows 7 (D: ) and windows vista (C: )

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is something strange about the partitions. There should be 2 partitions for recovery (at least on many machines), one that boots and another that contains the data for recovery.

Was the new partition you created a primary partition? Which partition is the "active" one (the one designated in the MBR as the boot partition)?

Do you have disks so you can recover? With a hidden partition that is an unusual type, there are bound to be problems. But losing it is the same as losing the Windows installation CD unless you also have disks.

If you have the option, you might think about deleting the "unknown" partitions on the drive to simplify life. In any case, you can see what is going on with a bootable partition manager like Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image). You can also use it later to make any changes you may want to make, so it is a good tool to have around.

If that boot manager did not see all the partitions, it is because there are no more bootable ones, so something seems wrong here.

If you examine the partitions with a partition manager, make sure that 7 is the "Active" partition. The most recent will have control of the boot process for itself and the older OS. So the BCD registry hive that you want to examine is 7's and not Vista's.

Once you make any changes to the manufacturer's partitions, you lose access to recovery by the normal, keypress route. But that seems to be irrelevant to you since you can now use the bootloader, and you have too much access instead of too little.

But you also have invalidated your warranty (if any) by making those changes.

6. dragonwrxsti

Windows 7 is installed on the primary drive and the Recovery is also on primary drive. Windows Vista is on the system drive

I have loaded the Parted Magic Disk and you are correct about the recovery, there are two of them. Gparted shows the different partition, with the 12gb volume that i allocated for windows 7 and the 126.3gb that was allocated for windows vista along with the 10gb for recovery. Within the Gparted program i was not sure how to tell if windows 7 is activated or not for some reason i am trying to find instruction from parted magic and but the site is not working. Within Gparted for Windows Vista, under flags tab i see boot

So from what i am reading i should delete the recovery partition? I dont have an MS vista cd but if anything happens in the future i have windows 7 or windows xp to load onto the laptop. i'll just delete the windows 7 partition and hope it runs normally again

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Since it is a Linux application, it may tell you little about Windows. There is no partition type "system", so that partition needs to be logical or primary. And it has to be primary to be bootable. Not having Parted Magic in front of me, I can't really help you much with navigation. But look around. There surely must be some place to choose the active partition.

It may be called something else, like "boot flag".

8. dragonwrxsti

thank you for your help and time, i tried the bootflag and making Windows 7 partition boot but it says BOOTMGR is missing. I'll just delete the windows 7 partition now to prevent further trouble.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Except that Windows 7 is now controlling boot so that deleting it will probably mean no Vista (depending where that boot flag went). But a startup repair on Vista may get your boot back.

10. dragonwrxsti

Your correct!! about that lol i deleted it and it just boots to the gateway recovery still, tried the startup repair and it states there is no problem ayy haha, hmmm

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Time for recovery, I guess. You really should make images of the drive that can be restored when something like this happens.

Can you load Vista from the bootloader CD? Is the bootmgr missing there, too? I was going to suggest copying the bootmgr from the 7 partition.

12. dragonwrxsti

thats the odd thing both partition just keeps going to the gateway recovery.. lol my brother information and log-in is still there soo its not lost

13. dragonwrxsti

what if i installed windows xp instead? and try fixing vista loader that way?

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

You mean to the empty partition?

What happens when you try to load Vista now?

What do you mean about "your bro's login"? Where is that?

15. dragonwrxsti

You mean to the empty partition? the bootflag from where the linux setup is on the windows vista drive now.

What happens when you try to load Vista now? When i try to load vista it just boots up to the Gateway Recovery

What do you mean about "your bro's login"? Where is that? My brother login happens when gateway system restore ask me for admin control

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/895986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice