1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hcl

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 24giovanni, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 24giovanni

24giovanni Banned Thread Starter

By searching windows 2000, How do I check against the HCL on Microsoft’s site and see if your hardware meets the requirement please?

TIA

2. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

3. 24giovanni

I'm not sure I saw that as well and i clicked on win98 and it gave me a response which I copied that totalled over 1700 pages so I am not sure. That is why I am asking the forum for someone who is familiar with it maybe would know better. Is that what i should be doing?

TIA

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Even if something is not on the HCL it can still work with Windows 2000/XP.

5. 24giovanni

The processed I used, is that the correct way? If not, how would I check please?

TIA

6. 24giovanni

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'm not sure what you mean.

8. 24giovanni

9. Kitch

Kitch

It's not clear what you're what your looking for.

The link you clicked on gives the HCL for products tested on Win98, that's all it does, and as Triple6 suggested it's not an exhaustive list.

Where does Windows 2000 come into it?

10. 24giovanni

Here is how the question was exactly proposed to me..... please see if you can figure it out. I appreciate any help.

Researching Windows 2000 on Microsoft’s website. If you have an older machine at home, check against the HCL on Microsoft’s site and see if your hardware meets the requirement.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The HCL list does not include all hardware that actually works with Windows 2000. Whoever posed this question to you, doesn't know much about computers and hardware.

Go to each component's web site and look for Windows 2000 drivers. That's the only way you'll know.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't think I'd be to worried about the HCL list. Most hardware is either supported directly by Windows 2000 or you can download a Windows 2000 driver from the manafacturer's website. Items like scanners are the hardest to find Windows 2000 drivers for, the rest isn't bad.

13. 24giovanni

Can someone please tell me how I can generate this report. I appreciate any help. I was told you can do it by upgrading to win 2000 but is there another way of doing it?

TIA

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well you don't upgrade it to get the list. the command below will check for compatibility only.

in command line on the cd drive and windows 2000 cd in, type winnt32.exe /checkupgradeonly

if it gives you an error, type winnt.exe instead of winnt32.exe I believe winnt32 is for upgrading from Windows 95/98/Me and winnt.exe is upgrading from Windows NT but if I'm wrong then it's the other way around :D.

15. 24giovanni

Can I please get an answer on how to do this please. I would appreciate it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice