1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HD Drive Partition Allocatiion

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rok7751, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rok7751

rok7751 Thread Starter

I've just finished installing the Win XP Professional OS on my 200gb drive. during this process i created a 20GB partition on the same disk. Installation went fine but the partition is listed as " 20 GB unallocated" in disk management. how can i safely get this space allocated ? can i just right click format it in windows explorer ?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2038 Mb
    Graphics Card:
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 170299 MB, Free - 132073 MB; F: Total - 377331 MB, Free - 241013 MB; L: Total - 74816 MB, Free - 38817 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation, D915GAG
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Remember to install SP3 and get the ~150 subsequent updates.

Use Disk Management to create a new partition using the unallocated space and you can then format it. Apparently your first attempt to create a partition failed.

3. rok7751

rok7751 Thread Starter

OK, i thought that partition was already made during the OS install so i didn't want to partition again and get into a mess. i did the partition and format now and all's well again.

Thank You so much! and i'm onto service pack 3 now !!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice