1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HD failing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wolfworx, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

I believe my Hard drive may be failing.
    Computer is running Windows Vista
    Drive is 500 GB ST3500620A SATA
    2GB memory

System is chronically failing to recognize the hard drive resulting in message:
    DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.
    Award Bios setup indicates that hard drive is absent. (CDROMs and Floppy show present)

After several attempts by powering down and rebooting, I have been able to get the drive recognized and the system boots normally, the operating system loads and the system runs normally, usually for several hours, but eventually shuts down and reboots to the message shown above.:eek:

My question: Is my hard drive failing or could the problem be elsewhere? And, if the hard drive is the problem, can I buy a new one and (hopefully) clone the old one during a successful boot?

Needless to say, although my data on the drive has been backed up, reconstructing the drive on a new one would be a major headache since you no longer get the OS on a CD but rather on a D: partition on the original drive. Plus I would need to reload all of my apps. Days of work... and probably an Activation hassle as well. :(Whew!

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

3. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. (y) I will try that solution. Hope it works.

4. Hughv

Hughv

5. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. I have changed the power connection to the drive. the system rebooted without problems and has been running for about 18 hours, I will keep this thread open for a few days before I am confident enough to mark it solved,

I should also consider making an image of the drive. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who had a drive crash and did a complete restoration using a drive image,

6. FrankSinatra

FrankSinatra

Make sure you backup, and possibly even have a RAID 1 setup. Having just one hard drive is like having one parachute. You're guaranteed it will fail; this is why it is SO EASY to get a replacement drive from Western Digital (or any manufacture) - because they fail regularly. I've replaced four drives so far, all free of charge.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Restoring images to a failed hard drive would do no good. Restoring the image to the replacement HDD is painless and a lot quicker than starting everyting from scratch. If the data is corrupt before you make the image, then the image is going to restore the corrupt data. I make images of all my drives at least once a week, then if I get hit with a virus or try a program that messes up my system I just restore the most recent CLEAN Image. I use Acronis Tru Image 2010 Home.

8. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

System has continued to be problem free for several days now since I changed the power connection to the drive.

The power cable I replace was a power adapter -- standard four lead drive power connector to SATA power connector (HP P/N 5188-3214 FOXCONN 0819). Have these things been problematic?:confused:

In any case, I am marking this solved.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice