1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HD Partition using on XP install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tylerjohn, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tylerjohn

Tylerjohn Thread Starter

I just installed XP on a new 106GB HD. Somehow I created a primary partition of 7.81GB letter I. That left me 141.23 GB of unallocated disk space. I've already installed my OS and most of my software and other peripherals. That's obviously used most of the 8GB of the primary. The unallocated part of the drive isn't assigned a drive letter so I'm hoping that helps me. I don't need a partition or if I have to have one a small one is fine. I thought the 8GB would be good for the OS with some extra, but I'm real concerned about all that unused space.

I did a google and did learn about right clicking on the unallocated side and selecting new partition and taking it from there. I was just a little concerned about making a 2nd mistake. A little frazzled as this is all within 3 hours. Thanks for any help.

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

your system partition is to small it should be at least 25_30gig and the balance of the hdd as an extended partition with a virtual volume of the same size. your system partition should be "C" not "I

there isnot enough space left on the partition to do anything.

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

To run well "XP" needs "breathing room." I would allow 10-12 GB just for the OS alone! Is there any reason for you to have more than one partition? Many folks have just a "C" partition.

A third party disk management program would allow you to make the necessary change(s). Below is the link to a trial download that would be adequate for your immediate purpose(s).

{redoak}

http://www.topshareware.com/EASEUS-Partition-Manager-transfer-51658.htm

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  5. Tylerjohn

Tylerjohn Thread Starter

The one hit I kept getting online was to use FDISK at A command during boot-up, then go from there. I couldn't find it, it would blast through hit any key to boot in about 2 seconds. I finally found the info that's basically what your link provides. During reinstall of XP, I was finally given an opportunity to eliminate the primary partition. No error message saying you can't due to utilities(system) being on the partition. Of course I hit D, then L. and all was solved. I now have an non-partitioned drive in NTFS and am very happy. Was up to all hours re-installing the usual stuff and all's good. Thanks for your reply, you guys are a godsend.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear that you were able to get the hard drive unpartitioned and get XP reinstalled. (y)

The use of FDISK and FORMAT C: and other DOS commands and the use of a startup floppy disk to format a hard drive and install Windows hasn't been used since the Windows 98SE/ME days. The XP CD does all the work and makes the process much easier - as you discovered.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!