Solved: Hd Raid

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mshabsovich

is there anyway to setup a HD RAID system with 1 internal and 1 external USB HD? if so how?
Thanks

I would have to venture to say NO. A RAID array is connected to a RAID Controller.

A USB connection is NOT a RAID Controller, nor is a standard IDE Controller.

If you haven't done a serious amount of reading and research into RAID arrays and their usage, I sincerely suggest you do so BEFORE proceding any further.

crjdriver

No.
I checked the specs on your board. You do not have a raid controller on the mb. You will need to buy a raid card such as a highpoint or promise raid controller; at least two hd of the same size and mfg in order to setup raid.

If you can see the drives in Disk Management, you can set them up for RAID 0 (striping) or RAID 1 (mirroring) in Windows 2000 or XP Pro. This is not hardware RAID, but software. For striping, I wouldn't bother. If you must have fault tolerance, the mirroring might be worth it.

mshabsovich

is a raid card still necessery if i am using 1 EXTERNAL HD and 1 INTERNAL HD? if so then whre would you plug in the USB port? wouldent i also need software to make it work with an external drive?

crjdriver

First of all the idea of using a usb drive and an internal drive to create raid is a bad one. With the difference in interface, access speed, etc, you are just asking for problems.

If you want raid, use a raid card. IMO software raid is useless [and makes recovery data from a failed os or one part of the array very difficult]

Guys, let's get real here.

Pursuing this as any type of recommendation is like advising this person to remove their own appendix.

Not a particularly good idea.

winbob said:
Guys, let's get real here.

Pursuing this as any type of recommendation is like advising this person to remove their own appendix.

Not a particularly good idea.
I agree that it's not a good idea. But he was being told that it was impossible without hardware, which is wrong.

crjdriver

No, it is just impossible to do correctly. The very idea of trying to raid a usb drive and an internal ide drive using software raid is to say the least ludicrous.

The purpose of the hardware forum is to advise people on a course of action to accomplish a given task. Not to come up with off the wall scenarios.

crjdriver

Possible maybe with software raid. In reality if you want raid, the only way to do it is with hardware raid. Preferably a real raid card not an onboard raid controller.

The whole concept of a usb drive is that you can power it on and off; take it with you etc. This is defeated by trying to raid two external drives.

I have seen some highpoint controller cards that have two internal and two external connectors. In that case yes, however they are not using usb as an interface.

Mshabsovich,

You know you have (it appears) avoided any reference to what you are trying to accomplish via a RAID array. Why is that?

CRJDRIVER said very well above:

"The purpose of the hardware forum is to advise people on a course of action to accomplish a given task. Not to come up with off the wall scenarios."

It seems that you are not understanding what he was trying to say!

Additionally, it really does appear that you do not have the knowledge in house to install and run a RAID setup...don't feel bad, I do not feel that I do either, although I do understand it quite well.

So, I guess my recommendation to you, is to pursue another option.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online