1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HD Res Doesn't Fit TV Screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by PlasmaWaffle, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PlasmaWaffle

PlasmaWaffle Guest Thread Starter

My specs are below. I'm trying to run my computer through my TV screen via HDMI cable. The screen is a 46" Samsung LN46A530
    Anyways, I set the TV to 16:9 ratio, but a small top section of my desktop/display doesn't actually fit in the screen and I was wondering if there's a way around this. There's also an option on the T.V. to auto-adjust and fit all, but when I do that, everything becomes squished, near-impossible to read, and reverts back to the broken 16:9 display whenever I open a game or movie. Thanks in advanced!

Here are my computer specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz 8MB Cache
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE
    Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

Are you you setting the computer's video output to 1920 x 1080, @ 60 Hz resolution? That should exactly fill the screen of the LN46A530.

3. PlasmaWaffle

Yes I am, the problem is that it seems to completely fill the screen, and then fill it some more

Attached Files:

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

That is weird.Yoru screen capture shows that the card seems to be reading the monitor's settings correctly but your description of the problem sounds like the card is actually outputting a lot more than 1080 lines of video

The only thing that comes to mind at the moment would be to see if updated video drivers are available. If you do have the latest drivers, then re-installing them may help.

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Its probably an overscan discrepancy, but that should be equal overfill on all sides, so that if its scaled it fits perfectly at some point between 0 and 15% scaling. I'm not familiar with what this is called in NVIDIA control but its called Scaling in CCC control panels.

6. PlasmaWaffle

Thank you I found it! It's called Desktop Size and Position in the NVidia Control Pannel

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/986899