1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HDD Clone problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computer_pet, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computer_pet

computer_pet Thread Starter

Hi,

I bought a new 80GB Maxtor 9 HDD to replace a OLD 40GB HDD that came with my computer. As I do not want to re-install everything I found a copy of Norton Ghost 2003 that said it would copy everything from one hard drive to another one.

I installed the new 80GB as a slave and booted Windows XP (HOME), I found it in the Device Manager but not in My Computer. I also was not able to clone my other hard drive to it as it did not appear in the list in Ghost.

I re-booted with Win98 startup disk in and ran FDISK, there were no partitions on the hard drive, so I created a new Primary DOS partition (100% and active).

Re-booted without 98 startup disk in, and I found the new Hard drive in My computer with drive letter f: (two CD/DVD drives d,e). I viewed it properties it said 'Used Space 0 bytes', 'Free Space 0 bytes' (guessed this because I had not formatted it).

I ran ghost selected my old hard drive as source and the new one as destination, Next > Next, then it restarted.

'Can not find Operating System' came up on the screen :mad: :mad: :mad: . I removed the new drive (thinking the computer thought the operating system was on the new drive). Re-booted, same thing.

Put the Win98 startup disk in, FDISK, view partitions. I found that another partition had been created and had been made active (that explains why the operating system could not be found). I made the other partition active (the one that really contains the OS).

Rebooted > Windows XP starts :)

Ghost gave me some log about the task not being completed. Looked in My Computer discovered another HDD (at c: the old 40gb, at f: the small 7mb one, being read as 0 bytes, at g: the new 80gb being read at 0 bytes [I plugged it back in])

Tried to run ghost again, got this error 'Unable to successfully derangement the Virtual Partition file. This is probably due to your disk being too fragmented, we recommend that you run the windows disk defragmenter and run this task again...."

Ran defrag on drive C: (could not do on f: or g:) gets up to about 30% then finishes, gives me a message saying some of my files could not be defraged because they were to big. I have 16% free on my drive (thats why I bought the bigger drive).

Try to run ghost again but get the same error again. :mad:

What can I do?? Should I delete the partition ghost made or format the new drive?

Any help would be really really great :) (y)

2. computer_pet

Ohh, I speciefied PC DOS as the DOS type in Ghost, should I add MS-DOS files to ghost and use that?

3. 4steve44

4steve44

Reading your post makes me so glad that I have used Western Digital Drives for so long with absolutely never a problem. Also WD has the best free ghosting tool. Try setting the 40GB as slave and the new drive to Master and boot up on the slave. Then try to ghost ;?) :)

4. computer_pet

I do not know the jumper settings for the 40gb, its a 'WDC WD400EB-11CPF0'.

5. 4steve44

4steve44

If it is jumpered for master now just move the jumper one set of pins to the left :D

6. computer_pet

okay thanks, will do now :)

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you bought the new Maxtor drive retail, it came with a disc that has maxblast on it. This will allow you to partition, format and copy your contents of the old drive over to the new drive. Regardless of the Manufacturer of the old drive. Works great too.

8. computer_pet

I bought it from a online computer store, can I get this software from the net (from maxtor website)?

Thanks

9. computer_pet

No luck

'Missing Operating System' have put them back now

10. computer_pet

I found a download of it, and it made a boot disk, which I will run now, fingers crossed :)

11. computer_pet

Problem, ran it and went through everything. It got to 4% of copying files then it stopped and said there was a problem and should run scan disk.

I will run now, but I did run it last week.

12. computer_pet

Ran CHKDISK, found nothing wrong. Rebooted with maxtor disk in but same thing happened again :(

Any other ideas?

13. computer_pet

I created a disaster recovery disk using ghost and booted off it. I was then able to copy the HDD across to the new one while in DOS. It took about an hour and a half but every thing is now working great.

Only prob is I have an extra partition I don't really need :(. I think I will just delete the partition as it's only 15mb and there is no use resizing the partition just for 15mb.

Thanks steve and dustyjay for your help :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice