1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: hdd hard drive with cloning utility recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hyperinfinity, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hyperinfinity

hyperinfinity Thread Starter

Hi, I'm looking for a reliable hdd hard drive that includes a reliable cloning utility. Also, are there any additional cables I would need for cloning my failing but still functioning hdd hard drive to a new hard drive? What exactly is it that I need to do in order to clone the failing hard drive to the new hard drive? connect the new hard drive to my PC's motherboard?, or connect the new hard drive to the failing hard drive? Also, to my knowledge, it isn't necessary to reinstall Windows XP on the new hard drive after the old hard drive has been cloned to the new hard drive, is that accurate? Not sure if this matters, but the version of Windows XP on the failing hard drive has an OEM license. Thanks for taking time to read my post.

2. dai

dai

wd has a cloning utility on their site

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Seagate and WD both have free hard drive cloning software, and those those two own pretty much all other hard drive companies.

Beyond that there is numerous free cloning software that works extremely well. Clonizilla, Macrium Reflect, DriveImageXML, and many others.

A clone is an exact copy of the original drive, it includes EVERYTHING on the drive so no you don't need to reinstall Windows or anything else.

You may need another SATA cable to connect both drives at the same time.

4. cesarvh

cesarvh

i use acronis, when purchasing a separate application (which works most of the times better then the ones supplied with a HDD) you can purchase almost any available disk on the market, just make sure its at least the same size or larger then your original disk

5. dai

dai

the wd utility is acronis

6. hyperinfinity

Thanks for the hard drive & cloning utility suggestions. Do I need to connect both the old hard drive and the new hard drive to my PC's motherboard?, or do I need to connect the old hard drive to the new hard drive? It seems like you meant that I need to connect both the old hard drive and the new hard drive to my PC's motherboard from what you mentioned in your post "You may need another SATA cable to connect both drives at the same time." but I want to make sure I understood what you mentioned.

7. dai

dai

the drives are installed to the m/board

8. gelnor

gelnor

You can do it with a couple of linux commands in a blink of an eye, but you need to know what you are
    doing because if you don't you can end up with two empty, unformatted disks, as you can easily copy
    the empty one over the other with your data!

If you want to give it a try, download a linux distro that can boot from USB (I suggest Fedora),
    then use the dd command to clone and then (as long as you clone Windows XP) ntfsresize if you clone to a bigger disk.

Be sure to RTFM from man pages :D

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, as Dai has mentioned, the drives connect to the motherboard. Drives never connect to each other, always to the motherboard.

10. hyperinfinity

Alright, thanks.

11. hyperinfinity

Dai did mention that, but for some reason I didn't see Dai's reply until I viewed this page for the second time the same day Dai posted that reply. Anyway, thanks for your reply as well, and thanks for taking time to answer my questions.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you clone with acronis, do the following;
    1 Connect new drive. Do not attempt to format or partition; just install it like it comes out of the box.
    2 Boot with the acronis boot CD. Choose to clone disk.Select source [old drive] and destination [new drive]
    3 Complete the clone process and shutdown.
    4 Very important. DO NOT reboot with both drives connected. Pull the old drive out or at least pull the pw connector from the old drive.
    5 Pw ON and see if everything works correctly ie drive letters correct, etc.

Note you may have to enter the bios and make sure your new drive is listed as the boot drive. If you have just a single hard drive connected, this should not be needed however if you have multiple hard disks, you may need to make sure your new drive is listed as the boot drive.

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    What's the make and Model of your XP computer ????
    Depending on the age ... It may Not have SATA Drives.
    You need to be sure before you get a replacement HDD.

As far as a reliable HDD .. I only get Western Digitals black series HDDs with a 5 year warranty nowadays.
    Then you can use WD's free version of Acronis

14. hyperinfinity

It's a 2005 HP Pavilion a1250n. I opened my pc case and noticed that the hard drive is indeed connected with a SATA cable. The confusing thing is that there's a white port with a similar shape to a SATA port below the black SATA port, and I'm not sure what kind of port it is. If the white port isn't a SATA port, would that cause problems with cloning the hard drive?. I also have 2 non-functioning optical drives connected with PATA cables (I'm currently using an external optical drive) , and I think anyway that I should be able to connect a hard drive such as a Western Digital hard drive because many of them support both SATA and PATA (either that or they manufacture SATA and PATA hard drives of the same model, I can't remember which). Would it be possible to clone the old hard drive to the new hard drive if the old hard drive is connected with a SATA cable and the new hard drive is connected with a PATA cable? Also, would a Western Digital enterprise hard drive work well installed in my PC? I've heard from some sources that enterprise drives are better suited for servers. Also, it may be that the PATA ports are no longer functioning properly, which could explain the internal optical drives not functioning properly, so a PATA hard drive might not be the best idea. The internal optical drives open and close, but won't read any discs or write to any discs. Also, does it matter if the cable used to connect the hard drive is a SATA, SATA II, or SATA III cable? I've heard it doesn't matter, but I don't know that for a fact.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1093452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice