Solved: hdd in floppy bay

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DesperateDan

Hi, I have dell dimension 2400 I want to put a second bigger hdd in, I don't have a spare bay, I don't use my floppy drive bay can I use the floppy bay for the second hdd

My opinion on this is that you can put an extra hard drive anywhere that it is not in the way of cables, that the IDE and power cables reach it and it NEEDS to be screwed in so it doesn't move. My concern is that the floppy bay has a hole in the case right there and that'll allow more dust into the case right at your hard drive.

if the bay is unused then just mount it there.

if the bay has a floppy then remove it. mount
the hard drive inside the case, not sticking
out as a floppy.

if you don't have a space filler for the hole
because a floppy was there then make one.
duct tape works nice and comes in colors.
people make fillers from all kinds of materials.

DesperateDan

Thanks guys for the advice, I'll put it in the floppy bay I've never installed a hdd before I was thinking of 120 gb hdd how big of a partition should use for the OS I have winxp home. as you can tell I'm a novice.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
My take is to reserve about 40gig for the system partition. I load all the applications with Windows on the same partition. I then create a second partition for data, I move My Documents to the data partition, and also my Favorites, and anything else that I can. Finally, I leave the rest of the disk as a work area for stuff like video processing, temporary file storage, etc.

DesperateDan

the only thing I get confused with is making partitions I've read about installing a hdd I want to be able to do it right, is there a site that shows you step by step how to install hdd

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online