1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] HDD intermittenly recognized by computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lewmoore, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lewmoore

lewmoore Thread Starter

My computer sometimes recogizes my "C" drive and at other times it does not. This just began to occur, if I turn it off for a few hours it will recocognize it but hang up when updating new hardware. I just added a new video card,
    because the other one blew out. Now I have this problem. Any sugesstions?

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi lewmoore

Welcome to TSG

I would first try reseating the cables to the hard drive as they may have come loose when you installed the new video board. Then as a guess its possible that the new video board is drawing too much power and the hard drive is not spinning up all the time. Check to see if the drive spins up ok. Is the drive then seen if you reboot the computer?

Its also possible that the hard drive is starting to fail. You can go to the hard drive manufacturers web site and download their diagnostics to test out the drive.

3. lewmoore

lewmoore Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, it seems the cable bent the pins on the drive and now all is well.:D

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Im glad you solved your problem and thanks for letting us know.
    :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice