1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: hdd issues with BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nashisdstuff, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nashisdstuff

nashisdstuff Thread Starter

have some issues getting BIOS to pick up hard drive. should be able to run it under CS or slave settings and pick it up in the OS, but i'm not having any luck. the computer i'm trying to run it in is a Dell Dimension 4300 (factory settings-minus a RAM upgrade). the hard drive does not have an OS, only used for file storage but i'm able to run it in other machines.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If more then one drive make sure they are both set for CS or one set for Master and the other Slave.

Then you need to enter the BIOS setup, F2, and enable the drive. With Dell's they disable any channel that doesn't have a drive connected to it.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I have noticed that with Dell Dimensions, that the drives do not seem to work if they are not set to Cables Select. As Triple6 points out make sure both are set to CS with the boot drive on the end connector of the IDE Cable and the Slave Drive on the Middle Connector.

4. nashisdstuff

i have tried most every setting. i currently have it set up as dustyjay recommended with both drives set to CS, with the master drive on the end of the IDE. when i load BIOS, it says Unknown Device for primary and secondary channel 0, but will give me details on primary and secondary 1 (rom drives). i can still load into the OS, but the slave drive is not detected.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Where it says unknown, can you change that to Auto, Save, and Exit?

Whats if you try the new drive all by itself? Does the BIOS recognize it correctly?

How big is the new drive? If the drive is over the 137GB barrier then it may be too big for the system to recognize correctly. You may need to update the BIOS to add 48-bit LBA support. The original BIOS for this system is from 2001, right before the issues with 48 bit drives, you may have to update the BIOS to the latest version.

6. nashisdstuff

it seems like not having an OS on the slave is causing the issue, but i dont understand why if its only a slave drive. i wouldnt think it would need an MBR.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not having an O/S is not the issue. Likely having an old BIOS that does not support the new drive is the issue.

8. nashisdstuff

latest update: changed out the IDE cable and the computer loaded both hdd's, but as soon as the computer hit POST, it gives a message saying that the slave drive is running outside normal operation. why would that be the case?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If its defective, not jumpered correctly, not sully supported by the system. Is the new IDE cable 40 wire or 80 wire? Does the system show the correct name and size for the new drive?

10. nashisdstuff

drive works correctly. jumper is on. new cable is 40 wire. that may be the problem. system gives correct information for the drive.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need an 80 wire cable to get proper operation from it and the old drive, the 40 wire will restrict the performance and may result in other errors or issues.

12. nashisdstuff

ok. at least i got the hdd running. that was the main thing. that might be why the factory IDE cable wouldn't pick it up. anyways, thanks for the pointers. troubleshooting is easier the more heads there are. (usually!)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice