Solved: HDD not showing the real size.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lynxie

Hey again,

I've just installed a brand new HDD to my computer.It is suppose to have 200GB,however it only shows 186GB,where's the 24GB ?

Don't worry it's only 14GB and it's due to different ways of calculating used by manufacturers etc (not sure exactly), but it's normal.

lynxie

Oops sorry it's 14gb only.I'm so tired right now and can't even calculate well.Hmm so,I can't recover the 14gb ? or is my HDD really 200gb but it won't show the real size.

If it where 140gb then that could be explained by the formatting. I think your problem is (probably) that the remaining Gb have not been formatted and are currently lying around without a partition to their name. You can use various utilities to format them, i have Acronis Disk Director Suite, Windows comes preinstalled with fdisk, which you can reach from command prompt. I advise you to google it first as its a difficult program for beginners.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually kirby_t07, you should check the previous post, the link properly explains where the gigabytes went. :)

lynxie

Ok Lol. Now I understand :) At first, I thought I've damaged some of it components therefore some of the size were gone.Anyway,thanks for clearing this matter.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online