Solved: HDD space swallowed up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Chewbubba

When I came back to work from the summer, I was looking at my hdd space, and out of 150GB, I only have 15 GB free. I used WinDirStat (ran as Administrator) to see what was suddenly hogging up all my hdd space, and "Unknown is a whopping 93 GB. Like I said, I did "Run as Administrator", and I have no idea what that is and can't seem to find out with all the system files and hidden files "shown".

Any clues about what to do next?

SysInfo info :)
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1995 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset, 773 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 152485 MB, Free - 18671 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 03NVJ6
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Attachments

Unless someone used that HD to create an encrypted partition or similar item on, perhaps it is a collection of "System Restore" images. (I'm not sure how Win7 handles them, but WinXP just keeps adding and adding and adding....)

Chewbubba

I removed all but the most recent restore point, and now I'm only up to 23GB free. :p

Chewbubba

Ok, in the C:/Windows/Temp folder, there gobs of files there that are .txt files(?!) that range in size from 4MB to 29MB. Everyone of them is named "bla-bla-Microsoft.NET Framework 4 Client Profile-MSP0.txt"

Delete 'em? No? Any ideas?

[EDIT: I thought the files were GB, not MB. My bad.]

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
You should be able to delete all the files in all the .tmp folders. Just make sure that it is not in the middle of an install (like Windows needs to reboot to complete installation)
You should also clear the cache in your browser(s)

Chewbubba

According to the treesize software, 93GB, yes GIGABYTES(!) is in the Windows/System32/winevt/logs folder. So, googling that, I see that those are windows system events, but I don't see whether it's safe to delete them or some of them. That's 62% of my HDD! :eek:

[EDIT: Well, I see a lot of IT guys don't like the idea of nuking the event logs, and their reasons make sense. But 93GB????? Is there a way to change this so it doesn't get so huge?

Btw, mods, feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum if necessary.]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online