1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HDD stops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cristian_vizu, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cristian_vizu

cristian_vizu Thread Starter

Hello!
    I am having this issue for some time now, and it became curious when the issue recurred after replacing the hard disk drive.
    The issue occurs like follows: from time to time the HDD will just stop. After a few moments it starts working again, but not for long before it happens again. I usually turn the computer off, since the issue won't go away.
    This already broke a 500GB WD, and I thought the disk was faulty, so I replaced it with a 200GB Maxtor. I was amazed to see the issue happen again with the new drive. So I concluded that it wasn't the hdd who was faulty.
    Also, I tried different power and data cables.
    Do you have any ideas on this?
    THANKS!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+, x64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2046 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 51199 MB, Free - 15553 MB; D: Total - 40754 MB, Free - 18391 MB; E: Total - 102421 MB, Free - 29962 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-MA78GPM-DS2H
    Antivirus: ESET Smart Security 4.2, Updated and Enabled

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

If the hard drive just stops spinning at random that would suggest a problem with the power supply. Tricky to test an intermittent fault with a voltmeter, the easiest way would be to borrow a PSU from another computer.

3. cristian_vizu

At first it happened when installing or copying large amounts of data, also when I was playing. Recently it happens as you said, randomly, and also, more frequent.
    I also suspected the power supply, but the problem is that the issue does not occur periodically, nor is it triggered by a specific action, so testing with another PSU can't conclude the problem for sure.
    Could the MB be the problem?

Update: I recorded some parameters while a HDD crash, including voltages [screenshot attached]. Any anomalies there? Is the 0.03V drop in the +12V enough to have caused it?

Attached Files:

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

I see what you are getting at but the voltage readings are just a snapshot and will not be showing the true voltage at the precise time that a crash took place. And no, I doubt the small drop in voltage could have caused a problem.

The hard drive requires a constant supply to keep running and only Green drives spin down during periods of inactivity. The power to the drive is direct from the PSU not via the motherboard so the drive should never stop spinning unless the power supply is interrupted..

Testing with another PSU should prove the point, I have suggested, as the crash will not occur any more, at all.

The only other thing you could do would invlove connecting a voltmeter to the 12V supply that feeds the hard drive. It would have to be visible at all times so you could see if the voltage drops when the crash occurs.

Are you quite sure that the hard drive is spinning down, what exactly happens, does everything freeze? Freezing can be caused by other faults, graphics card or memory, etc.

5. cristian_vizu

Okay, this is what exactly happens:

I can hear a sound made by the hdd that suggests it's stopped working, after that there's a sound suggesting it starts again. The delay between the two is less than a second. It's like the power supply to the hdd is interrupted for a bit.
    The PC does not freeze; the mouse pointer is responsive, I can hover over programs in the taskbar, the visual effects are still present, but the previews of the programs don't show.
    After a while it all comes back to normal...until the next crash at least.
    Also, I held my hand on the hard drive while a crash, I could feel it spin down, and then spin up again.

I just ran MemTest86+ and no errors were found.

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

From what you have discribed I would say it is a farly safe bet that your PSU is the cause. As this behaviour was identical with another drive that rules out the other possibility of the drive being faulty.

If you can get your hands on another PSU that would be a good way to prove it before spending money on a new one.

7. cristian_vizu

Hope I find a PSU that nobody uses, since there can be days without a crash.
    I'll mark this as solved as soon as I replace the PSU and confirm the diagnostic.

Thanks a lot, Mark.

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

Your welcome, just keep using the PC with the temporary PSU for several days until you are convinced the fault is not recurring.

9. cristian_vizu

I've been running a new PSU for some days now, and all looks good. The HDD does not stop randomly any more, and I am able to use my old HDD which I thought was broken.
    Thanks a lot Mark!

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

Great result, and your welcome.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice