1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HDD toast? Vista instal gone?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by k-os, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. k-os

k-os Thread Starter

Hello all. Rebooted my machine this evening and it said it failed to reload Windows. I put in the Vista disc and tried repairing - to no avail. I tried to restore (one of the options in the repair) and kept getting the message "windows restore failed cyclic redundancy check 0x80070017". I searched for this error message but everything was related to creating this restore point or when actually in Windows trying to restore (I cannot get to Windows, so these did not fit my scenario).

So, does it sound like my installation is busted? Is the HDD OK, meaning is it safe to continue to use the disk - it's only this installation that's corrupted, or should I consider the HDD "bad"? If I get another HDD, could I attach this drive as a slave and get any data off there? Any tips would be appreciated. :(

2. k-os

k-os Thread Starter

No one?? Do I need to buy another HDD? Or do you think I can instal Vista on another partition on this same HDD? Would like to recover files on the current HDD, if possible.

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

If you buy a converter, you can connect that hard disk to another ocmputer via USB and rescue your data. Once you've done that, right click the drive in My Computer in the other machine and go to Tools then click Check the disk for errors and tick both boxes to find and fix errors. That might be enough to make teh system bootable back in its own box.

4. k-os

k-os Thread Starter

Thanks Saga Lout. I'll have to check out this converter thing, never heard of it. The drive is SATA, does that matter? So, the converter just connects to the drive (even though it's an internal, it'll be external while doing this, correct?) another machine, that simple?

Why would the converter thingy be able to fix errors that the Vista disc cannot fix? Does the other machine need to be Vista, or will XP or 7 work?

Let's assume the converter doesn't work - what are my options then about using the HDD or more importantly, rescuing some data?

5. k-os

k-os Thread Starter

6. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Although your first link points to a very cheap unit which claims to have external power, I don't see that power adapter. However, it can draw power form inside the PC so it's probably adequate. The other one is even less explicit for six times the price.

I use a SATA dock but as I fix PCs for a living, it's easier for me and more durable for frequent use. It only cost me £25 and in England we're used to paying far more than folks in the States for our computer parts. Your $5 unit would do for this one-off purpose. Unplug an optical drive power cable if you don't have a spare.

7. k-os

k-os Thread Starter

OK, granted you're not in the States, but could you link me to a brand that I should consider. I won't need it for every day use, but more for this one time - and/or any other time a computer crashes (which I hope isn't often, but we know how that is). I'd like something that gets the job done, but won't cost an arm and a leg. I'm new to this converter, so I know nothing about them.

8. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

9. k-os

k-os Thread Starter

OK, you mentioned something about lack of power, so I was hesitant at first. After looking at the photos, I think I do see the power adapter - I *think*. Guess I'm gonna order that one.

10. kenny111111

kenny111111

SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable for 2.5 / 3.5 / 5.25 Inch Hard Drive / Optical Drive with External AC Power Adapter this is from the link in post #8 seems like a great deal for what you need....

11. k-os

k-os Thread Starter

Yep, that's what I read and one of the photos looks like the power adapter (a cord). I was just hesitant because of Saga's comment, but it's on its way now. :)

12. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

All the confusion is my fault entirely. I must have skimmed over the photo of the power adapter - or perhaps saw it and failed to recognise it as such. British wall plugs are totally diferent - that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it. :D

Sorry.

13. k-os

k-os Thread Starter

Love it! Ha! So true, I didn't even think about that during our discussion. Hahaha! No harm, I ordered it and it's on its way. I do appreciate the help. (y)

14. k-os

k-os Thread Starter

Thought I should report back. Like I said I ordered the one linked above (grand total $10 US, not bad) and it has worked like a charm! I've been able to recover 99% of my data. Some files will not copy over for some reason, but these were not critical files. Only issue I've noticed, and this may be true for all of these, the HDD hooked up spins continuously and gets hot. So I only leave it hooked up while I'm gathering data from it. But for $10, who cares!! I really appreciate the help....

15. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Glad you got it sorted in the end. Hard disks do get hot but if your's is excessively hot outside the box, think what it must have been confined in a small, airless space. I would recommend keeping it for backup purposes only and use a new one to reinstall. Once you're ready to put the files into a new system, copy them leaving the original on the old disk.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice