1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Hdd won't format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jack Goa, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack Goa

Jack Goa Thread Starter

Hi, I have this old Seagate U8 Model ST38410A 8.4gb hdd. XP Pro picks it up, installs it and everything, but I cant format it via rightclicking or through disk management. By the way it is installed as slave. Whe I try to forat it it tells me 'The format did not complete successfully'

Any ideas on how I can format it or somehow test it????

Thanx :confused:

2. onsite

onsite

3. Jack Goa

Jack Goa Thread Starter

Ok you talking to a normal GUI guy here. When I have to boot from floppy's, etc, there is a serious risk of losing the whole pc, please help, I don't understand how to use those tools.

4. Jack Goa

Jack Goa Thread Starter

If it helps, when I check under properties I see that the file system is RAW and not NTFS.

5. Jack Goa

Jack Goa Thread Starter

Ok let's hope I'm not messing this up, I played around in Disk management and found that I can delete the partition. So I did...
    Now I ran create new partition wizard and then it gave me an option for primary drive, which I did and it started formatting but has been stuck on 1% for like 10 mins now....

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Right click My Computer, choose manage, Storage, Disk management and see if you can format it there. If not, then the drive is corrupted and is longing for the trash can.

7. Jack Goa

Jack Goa Thread Starter

As i said I managed to get it to start formatting, but it sems to just be hanging. I used to have linux installed on it.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

You might want to try a 98 boot disk and boot to F disk, delete the partition and then create partition and form there, but it sounds to me like drive has gone "over the hill".

9. Jack Goa

Jack Goa Thread Starter

Hi Rich, I downloaded the Seagate Diagnostic tool and it showed that there are bad sectors. I know it is not the end of the world if there are, but now how do I get the disk operational? After some research on Google I deduct that windows or whatever would just set the \bad sectors aside. Am I correct? Or is there some kind of software available that can do this. I would really like to try and save the drive as it would be nice to have a little 8gb drive to carry around...

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes you are correct except apparently there is enough wrong to stop the formatting though.
    With the price of hard drives today, you really don't want to be using a drive with bad sectors because even if you get it to work there will be more to match them soon. You can buy a brand new 40 gb Wd drive for $40 freight included and the physical size is the same, right?

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Is it really worth installing a 8 gig drive that has bad sectors. Usually this only means it will only get worse. No point is setting yourself up for problems later on for so little additional benefit.

12. Jack Goa

Jack Goa Thread Starter

Ja I suppose. You guys know how it goes though...
    Anyway thanx for the help. Still my favourite Tech site.
    :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486524

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice