1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HDMI Cable questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcatrocity, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcatrocity

pcatrocity Thread Starter

Before I tell my friend how to destroy her tv and computer, I'd like to get input from others that have more knowledge and experience than me.

She does a lot of streaming even local news. because she has bad tv reception.

I'm thinking of her setup a media center. Connect monitor to VGA port & connect TV to HDMI port.

Will that work or does a TV Tuner card need to installed :confused:

the computer is
    new Acer AX3950 - core i3 3.06 - 4GB RAM - 7 64bit - onboard graphics & HDMI it runs SWEET ! :)
    unfortunately it's not mine. I only got to find it online by searching /comparing prices for 3 days when TD put it on sale $329

Thank you.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A TV tuner card does exactly the same thing her TV does now. If she can't get digital channels with an antenna connected to the TV, that won't change when the antenna is connected to a tuner card in a computer.

"Streaming" usually means displaying content from the Internet. That's not the same as broadcast television.

I'd say it's highly unlikely that a $300 computer supports dual displays. As for connecting it to a TV, you need more detail about the computer's video card and the TV's computer input features, specifically the supported connections and resolutions.

3. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

4. pcatrocity

pcatrocity Thread Starter

She watches DVDs and VCR tapes on her tv.
    Does email, ebay and games online she watches local news online and watches tv shows on her computer. I thought that was streaming but I may be using the wrong term. ( that's the truth not a sarcastic remark)

it's a real good computer for $329. Acer X3950 Specs.
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium - 64-bit version - Intel® Core™ i3-540 Processor (3.06GHz, 4MB total cache) - 4GB DDR3 SDRAM - 500GB hard drive - Intel® HD Graphics 2000 - Intel® H57 Express chipset - 16X DVD±R/RW DL - high-definition audio support - 802.11b/g/n - gigabit LAN - HDMI® - USB - Multi-in-1 card reader - USB keyboard and optical mouse - 1-year limited warranty

At least it's an i3 processor instead of a Pentium D like most of the computers being sold today.
    the downfall is the 220W power supply. which is getting definitely getting replaced before we setup using the HDMI for connecting to tv.

it registers 4.8 on that Windows Experience Index

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice