1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HDTV help, what to get?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by necrovamp, Nov 23, 2009.

Which tv should I get?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2009.
  1. 720p 32inch

3 vote(s)
  2. 1080p 24 inch

0 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

Oct 13, 2007
    Well, I'm buying an hdtv.
    I originally thought that I wanted a 32 inch, 720p or 1080p
    The 32 inch tvs in my price range ar all 720p.
    That would be fine, but then I started thinking about the difference between 720p and 1080p.
    SDTVs are 480p
    It seems that there is a much bigger difference than I originally thought.

I'm really one for quality, all my games are high graphics and I'd be using the tv for not only hd movies, but output to games as well.

So I started looking up deals on 1080p tvs.
    All the 1080p hdtvs in my range are 24 inchs. (which seems kinda like a monitor to me)

My question is, do you think it would be worth it to get a 24inch 1080p hdtv, or would it be better to stick with my original plan of a 32 inch 720p?
    Would the quality on the 720p be just as good or better than the 24 inch?
    Would I even be able to notice the difference that a 1080p hdtv makes if its on such a small screen?
  2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Oct 19, 2002
    I'd be more interested in the refresh rate for games, you want at least 120hz.

FWIW, I have a 50" 720P plasma and a 52" 1080P LCD. Both have great pictures from the HD box for Verizon FiOS, which I believe only offers 720P. I suspect that if I had a Blu-Ray box, I might see the difference. I'd hold out for the larger screen in 1080P if it were me. :)
  3. JustinPS

Oct 27, 2009
    The answer to that is a resounding: no. There is no way you'd be able to tell the difference between 720P and 1080P at such a small screen size. That's a total gimmick. I've read at least 3 or 4 tests online that tested 720P vs 1080P on 40" TV's at regular (~7ft) viewing distances, and the human eye just can't tell the difference. Even at 2-3 feet, almost all the people they tested couldn't see a difference. And that was a 40" TV.

I would definitely get the 32" :)
  4. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Nov 25, 2008
    Not all TVs are of the same quality,there is more to think about other than 720 and 1080..Picture quality is all about the eye no whats on paper. The 1080 has the capabilty given to produce a better picture,but that dont mean it automatically does based on this alone.
    With the screen range you have in mind either is just fine...Remember its all about the eye. I would go to a big chain where there are many TVs and one can see not all pictures are alike....I have seen some great 720 pictures....Since the 1080 panel costs more to produce the savings by the mfg might take place with the rest of the componets,,,Since a 720 panel is cheaper to produce more money can be spent on the other componets inside.
    And sound one must take sound into consideration..its half the show..there are a few units with crappy sound and that can spoil an otherwise good experience.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/879720