1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HDTV not recognized as display 95% of time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newbee123, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbee123

newbee123 Thread Starter

Greetings,

I'm trying to get dual monitors so that I can use an HDTV for gaming and my regular monitor for everything else.

The problem: the tv is only recognized as a display the odd time. Meaning that it only rarely shows up as a display option in the Nvidia control centre or in the "connect to an external display" menu in control panel. When it is not recognized, which is most of the time, the tv will either say "no input detected", or just have a black screen.

Clicking force tv detection also does nothing. My other monitor is always recognized. I have tried this by changing a lot of different variables -- ie different/lower resolutions on my regular monitor, unplugging and replugging, power cycling, booting computer with only tv plugged in, booting computer with only monitor plugged in and then changing them around etc.

Sometimes the TV is recognized - as either Toshiba TV or PnP generic monitor - and works flawlessly! However, it is seemingly random. I cannot figure out what is making it work when it does. Sometimes I'm just running it and it will beep and beep and then switch to the TV. The only trend I am able to see is that it is usually when I'm alt tabbing out of or exiting a game, but then again it only happens the odd time. If I were to load a game and then exit it then chances are the TV would still not load.

The HDTV in question is a Toshiba 40E2OOU (http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=2&group=6&product=10174&category=). I am running a BFG GTX 260 Maxcore model. I have attempted this with the newest card drivers released this month to the oldest ones archived on the Nvidia website. I actually think I have had the TV load more often with the newer drivers, but I havn't had the old ones on long. I have also tried this in Vista and then upgraded to Win 7 but it behaves the same on both OS's.

I have the HDTV connected to the card via HDMI cable (confirmed working from a PS3 to TV) and the Nvidia DVI-HMDI converter (confirmed working from PS3 with HDMI to my regular monitor). My other monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster 205bw. Since DVI does not carry audio I have my audio run out to my regular external speakers from the PC.

Any advice would be awesome! Let me know if you need to know any other details. It is bothering me because when it works, it works great! But I don't know how to make it work, normally its just black or says no input.

Edit #1: The only thing I can still think of is that the DVI (no audio support I believe) to HDMI converter might be causing video corruption. I'll try to connect using S-video or something to 1) see if it works and 2) disable audio if it does. #2 A DVI-to-VGA converter worked and the display was instantly recognized. This won't give me as good of picture as a DVI-to-HDMI though, right? Still working on issue...will update if fixed.

2. newbee123

newbee123 Thread Starter

Ok so after two whole days of troubleshooting I swapped HDMI cables with my bluray player and the HDTV worked instantly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!